Runs & Workers 2018

A new stat this year: Special Units now have a column for All-Hands or Greater.

http://www.fdnewyork.com/rnwindex.asp

Thanks Frank, and I too am happy to see you back. I appreciate all you have done for us in the past, and I hope you are enjoying your well deserved retirement.

An EXCELLENT Web site too that you have provided for many years.

Many moons ago, us young, newly hired firefighters would sit in the kitchen and discuss the Ladder Co R&W numbers when they would be released and after careful personal observation. Back then only the "Runs and Workers" were printed on yellow Fire Bell newsletter, later"OSW" were added. We would discuss the surrounding response area that would affect the alarm generation; projects, vacant, large "parkland area", hi-rise, single house ladder companies and all the other variations that could determine the real "fire duty" value. Back then you took into account type rig; TL's that did alot of "vacant" duty and added to the numbers vs rearmounts that were usually told to pick up. Then cross reference the ladder company with the engine company most likely to have worked alongside and compare their "OSW" hours. Like the "Superbowl" pool, or horse racing forms we would ponder the results. Fun discussion.

I would also like to add that back in my younger buffing days, I spent many hours studying the "Runs and Workers" along with my atlas street map. Every year, I based my buff hangouts on those yearly numbers. Often using the numbers from WNYF or the Fire Bell Club Newsletter of the top TEN or so companies for runs/workers.

I tried to find a good location with either a Micky Ds, Dunkin Donuts etc where I could sit inside on cold days/nights or those hot summer days. It also provided me a restroom as well. I would sit there with a hot coffee or a soda while listening to my portable scanner.

Some of those locations were:

MacDonalds:
  Bronx - Webster Ave near 170 St.
  Brooklyn - Broadway and Koskico (spelling) But was later closed.

Dunkin Donuts:
  Atlantic Ave @ 85th St Queens

These were locations within easy cross streets and major streets/aves. Besides being in some of the busier areas for the FDNY.

Today of course we have the benefit of the internet, along with members such as "FD347" and "Signal73" (who provide us with those detailed maps). Plus all the guys who list the jobs and videos for us.

Fantastic amount of info and it shows a great deal of work was involved. Here on Chicago that info is not available, and if it is it must be @ Langley. Is there another part of this to get individual runs pre- 1975? Again, thanx for all you do!

EMS runs seemed to have climbed considerably again last year.  Are people getting sicker?

Just glancing at the runs and workers correct me if I am wrong but ladder companies that used to be bustmy aren?t as busy and ladder that weren?t busy are getting busier, right or wrong?

Numbers do not always tell the true story/facts. During the busy years the unions were always,rightfully, demanding 2nd sections for the busier companies to reduce the workload, and provide increased protection for the people. Interchange which was born to relieve companies after and during busy tours was used by the city to reduce the workload and 2nd section union demands. As I have written before 82 engine had mandated interchange with two Queens companies E295 and E297. E.G. Monday night 82 would interchange with 295 from 1900 to 0900. Tuesday night Sq. 2 would run first up for 82 from 1900 to 0100. Wednesday night 82 would interchange with 297 from 1900 to 0900. Then Sq. and interchange on every second night tour. Still in my last year in 82, 1976, 82 had 6433 runs with 5607 workers. I can't imagine what these numbers would have been without the forced interchange and Sq. up 1st between interchange nights. 82's quarters would be empty for a few hours each interchange night tour when traveling to and from Queens during rush hour times.The city also took second due boxes away from 31 truck and put them on the 2nd alarm with the 2nd alarm truck put 2nd due on the box. These city tactics were another nail in the coffin of the S. Bronx.