Satellites??

132kitbash

Hi guys

What kinds og fabrications did FDNY use for Satellites... i know they Used Mack c cabs, but what else..??
and can anyone tell me where i can find some pictures of the old satellites
Thanx

Believe it or not, it's the original Mack C.  All 3 satellites were rebuilt in 1977 by Comcoach.  The components that survived the rebuild were the chassis, power train, Stang monitor and piping.  The new body and equipment compartments were made of fiberglass, and the rebuilt trucks bore little resemblance to the originals.  (info from New York City Firetrucks by Sorenson & Wood, 2002).  You probably don't recognize them because I think they're the only 3 examples of such a cab ever built. In my opinion, they rank up there with the 1960 Ward LaFrance Firebrands as the ugliest FDNY apparatus ever built.

Bulldog

Bulldog
raybrag said:
In my opinion, they rank up there with the 1960 Ward LaFrance Firebrands as the ugliest FDNY apparatus ever built. 
I definitely have to agree with that!  Nothing like a red square box to look good.  Actually, in my opinion these are even uglier than the Wards.

Bill D..........

Attachments

• Sat1 60s.jpg
    Sat1 60s.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 270
  • Sat2ComCoach.jpg
    Sat2ComCoach.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 283
  • Sat4 82Alf2.jpg
    Sat4 82Alf2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 264
Bill D's

Attachments

• Sat1 83mack1.jpg
    Sat1 83mack1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 264
  • Sat1 83mack2.jpg
    Sat1 83mack2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 254
  • Sat2 83mackRear.jpg
    Sat2 83mackRear.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 287
  Thanks "R1Smoke" for putting those Satillite photos up there. I appreciate that.

I checked out there site, not bad. Their run area appears to be suburban/rural. Why in the world would they want a Satellite? Does Long Hill have some particular super hazard somewhere in their run area?

As with most rural Fire Depts, no fire hydrants and lots of drafting so they want a dedicated hose carrier for long stretches from a water source to the scene or to a road to fill tankers.

vbcapt said:
I checked out there site, not bad. Their run area appears to be suburban/rural. Why in the world would they want a Satellite? Does Long Hill have some particular super hazard somewhere in their run area?
The truck carries the foam and some haz-mat equipment, and they have one of the largest malls in CT in their district, which has a substantial amount of calls annually. The truck is most famous for when it and its station are lit in tune with music around Christmas time, and is brought to parades lit up as well.

Does any one know or can remember the last time they saw a Satellite Unit flow water at an extra alarm. I know the brush fire in SI last year, Greenpoint Warehouse Fire-I think.
  When was a kid got to watch the Maxi Water get used at a AIDS Auto Parts Store Fire on Flatlands Ave and Est 80 St, Canarsie, early 1980's. Went to 4 alarms. Was just curious if anyone else can share there stories on when they saw a Satellite being used.