SCUBA Team

Noticed that FDNY does have a SCUBA truck, believe it was a 94 Ford/Ultimaster. Is that still used and do they have a designated SCUBA team. Looks like it might be kept at that rock.
Between ESU and FDNY who is in charge of dives,rescues and recoveries in the water.
Nashville Fire and PD both have SCUBA teams but PD only dives if it is crime related, search for a gun or homicide victim. All rescues are FD'S job.

the rescues have the scuba gear and the training i dont think that truck you mentioned is still in use cause the rescues are used for scuba teams

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The FDNY SCUBA truck is kept out at SOC on Roosevelt Island.
It's used for training only, not for responding to calls.

All 5 Rescue's are now SCUBA and carry equipment.
As per CIMS water jobs are PD's

Well what about company's with the diamond plate boxes on the top of the cabs with the dry suits? Don't they have those suits because they are close to the water and can be used for water rescues? I know E-72 SQ-61 and L-50 have them. I was a lifeguard at a YMCA and 3 times E-72 came into the pool and drilled on water rescues with the suits. I know the Engine/Trucks/Squads don't have SCUBA tanks but does Rescue?

The TSU has a small boat on top it. Is that manned b 2 people and do they do any diving? What else would they carry on that truck?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The units with the box on the roof are for surface rescue only.  They are not for diving, or anything like that.

TSU is staffed by one member only.  Unit is the newer version of the old Search light trucks, and they carry a lot of extra tools for the Rescues to use.  Lights, pumps, special saws, etc.