Side zip turnout pants?

I have no idea how I noticed this but the FF from R-3 has side zip up bunkers pants similar to the ones worn by FDNY EMS members. Never seen this on the fire side, is this a prototype the department is trying out or did he just get it modified?

image_zpse6d56a93.jpg

Credits are in the photo

Before I retired in 97 I wore bunker pants (morning pride gear) that had side zipper's on the legs. I wore the shoes that they wore in LA all the time so the side zipper's made it easier to get the pants on.

We're you FDNY or another dept.? Cause I've never seen bunkers pants in the city with the zipper

And thanks for the response, how'd you like the zippered gear?

Plenty of these pants have been around in the FDNY since the start of bunker gear here in the '90s.....zippers work well with zippered Chauf boots....the side zippered pants allow you to put the pants on over the boots.

Thanks 68, I've never seen them in the city before besides EMS. I can see the usefulness for chauffeurs but I prefer the traditional pants rolled over the boots style especially with all the extra stuff like the harness and PSS. Learn something new everyday. Once again thanks for clearing it up

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
That is also the senior Rescue FF in the company, If I am not mistaking.  They tend to get things like this as demos and pilot programs for feedback.  There is even something in the books about allowing the use of a zippered bunker boot.

PRO-3007 is the approved one but I don't think it is even made any more.

FDNY 6012 said:
We're you FDNY or another dept.? Cause I've never seen bunkers pants in the city with the zipper

And thanks for the response, how'd you like the zippered gear?

I worked in East Hartford, Ct and the zippers worked great. I was a chauffeur so it made it easier for me to get dressed when I had to put the pants on. And wearing the LAFD type shoes all the time was great.