Snow and hydrants

B

Bigandy

With snowfall amounts expected to be 1ft-2ft over the next day and a half, what is the FDNY's protocol with dealing with snow removal around hydrants? Does each company take care of their first due hydrants?

Each Company both ENG & LAD have a hydrant district ......the district is not neccesarily aligned w/1st 2nd 3rd due areas just as building inspection is not either.......if the snow is extremely heavy.... units will be sent out for a period of time to survey & clear as neccesary the hydrants in their districts ......it would be almost impossible for some / many units to be able to remain in service & do all their hydrants prior to the snow melting.....Sanitation does some clearing of hydrants ....maintenance at big complexes & housing units do theirs also...years ago the FDNY hired teams of off duty FFs on OT to shovel in areas really hard hit but i doubt w/the budget as it has been for many years that will  happen......i always felt that a public service announcement on tv asking people to shovel the hyd nearest their house would help but it is never mentioned ....maybe a liability issue ?.....everything else seems to be.

Some people are so bright they throw their shoveled snow on the hydrant in order to clear a path.

0145....Queens.....still no EMS available.... numerous ENGs 10-99 awaiting....units advised to move patients indoors where neighbors will allow while waiting.....some RMPs transporting.....some ENGs running out of O2 special calling 2nd ENG.

whenever I shovel I make sure to clear around, in front of, and on the hydrant that is in front of my house.  "316 is stuck in the snow...again"

0228 ....queens now reporting that the "modified response" is cancelled until 0900 Mon 12-27-10.

0342....still no EMs available....289 special calling another ENG they have used up all the O2 316 gave them...307 now enroute. 

L114 just handled a car fire going good - line from the hydrant, Bay Ridge & 6th. No engine for over half an hour, box transmitted after phone alarm for extension - unable to reach 114 to verify. Turned back the box & all engines.

Also E330 delivered a newborn baby @ 16th & 77th, was waiting for EMS for hours (I think they still are)

0412....289 now special calling 138 w/10 02 cylinders from the depot in qtrs.

In heavy snow many cities have trouble finding hydrants. I think that Providence, R.I. has a good system in place that helps somewhat find those snow burried hydrants. A white band is painted on the nearest pole. It's about two feet wide and placed about eight feet up. On that white band painted in black is usually an Arrow pointing to the left or right, or an "X", with an arrow to the left or right. Each also has a number to signfy how many feet away that hydrant is.
    An example is; number 50 with an arrow pointing to the right means a hydrant 50 feet from that pole to the right.
                        number 30 with an "X" and an arrow pointing to the left means hydrant across the street, 30 feet to the left opposite the pole.
    I think just another thought would be to use luminous paint that would show up a little better at night.
    Just a pretty good idea I thought. I think in Providence, the members themselves would go out on hydrant inspection during warmer weather and paint those on the poles themselves.
    And finally let me say "Hats Off" to those FDNY and FDNY/EMS Members for doing such a Great job under some very tough weather conditions. And CERTAINLY, let's not forget those Behind the scene Call Takers, and Dispatchers. I just hope extra people were assigned to handle some of these calls knowing a major storm was coming. (Reserve rigs etc).

My son was driving H & L 147 last night he called it a tour from hell. 4am people cutting them off and abandoning their cars in the middle of main roads forget the side streets. The chain didn't do much on the side streets. He was hoping that they wouldn't get a fire.

We're I'm from in Woodbridge NJ they installed those metal flags/poles on the hydrants so they can be seen when there's heavy snow.

Here in Va. Beach we have white PVC poles (Sandbridge area only) at the hydrants due to blowing sand creating small dunes that cover hydrants

1700 hrs..... after several hours w/no ems 294 s patient is now hypothermic.....they are removing him to their quarters to keep waitng for ems. 

EMS from Mercer, Somerset & Burlington counties in NJ provide units to help NYC in responding to backlogged EMS calls