Squad minimum staffing and Boxes Reference

2 questions for those in the know;

Is the minimum staffing for a Squad officer and 4 FF's or Officer and 5 FF's, do they occasionally run with 4 FF's??

Is there a reference source or book, that lists all boxes with a 1st 2nd and 3rd due reference included available anywhere?

Thanks Guys

JT

HCO

Ladders, rescues, squads, and the hazmat tech engines (Group 1 in the staffing plan) have one officer and five firefighters at all times.  SOC is responsible for ensuring full manning is maintained.

Thanks HCO, i have read that in the operational reference, however of late i have heard of truck companies responding with 4 FF's and on one occasion a squad was understaffed, i was surprised to hear this, hence i checked.

Thankyou Bro

JT

Occasionally you will hear a comapny say they are responding understaffed with say 4 firefighters in the truck companies.  That is usually because a member went home sick or 'tapped out' as its better known.  The company is still in service but it may take a little while for someone to get detailed into that company for the remainder of the tour.  When this occurs, policy is for the officer to come up on the department radio and advise the dispatcher of there staffing situation.  Usually a dispatcher will assign an additional company as well. Hope that helps.

if this was an angine company, is this when you hear dispatch say to a batt.. for arguments sake..

'Manhattan to batt 2 you have a 3 and 2,  Engine 55 is your additional 10-14 engine company K'

I would assume from the operational reference a rostor staffing company...

Thanks

JT

Can Rescue Guys fill in for Squad guys and vice versa if needed or No?

There is a written protocol for staffingn of rescues and squads, haz tech engines and haz mat. A specific minimum of firefighters is needed for the units then if additional manpower is needed it is taken from the regular manpower pool in a certain order. If no SOC firefighter is available then next in order is a SSL (soc support ladder) firefighter can fill in at a rescue or squad or haz tech, next is cpc or decon trained and finally an untrained firefighter. The minimum is 5 years experience for any of the above to be detailed for tour.