Staff Chief response

I have a question. I know that staff chiefs are assigned on a rotating bases for citywide coverage after hours, etc. But where do they respond from? Are they quartered in with a company some where or do they respond from Metrotech, home, etc. ?

I was curious about this as well and it is addressed partially in an article by Chief Leeb, "A Week in the Life of an FDNY Training Chief". The portion that references the Citywide Tour Commander is at the end, on Friday. Link here: https://www.firehouse.com/leadership/article/21268358/a-week-in-the-life-of-an-fdny-training-chief

It appears that the CWTC works out of their normal office during the day, when the Boro Commanders are on duty, then spends the night at Metrotech and responds from there as needed. I'm not sure what would happen on the weekends, whether they spend the whole tour at HQ or if they would work out of their normal offices during the day (supposing their normal offices weren't at HQ).

Others would know a lot more than me but I believe this role has evolved over the years. If you listen to stories closer to 9/11, I think the CWTC was a full-time AC/DAC position in the Bureau of Operations, then it later evolved to the current model where various staff chiefs do a couple shifts a month.

I have a question. I know that staff chiefs are assigned on a rotating bases for citywide coverage after hours, etc. But where do they respond from? Are they quartered in with a company some where or do they respond from Metrotech, home, etc. ?
Mostly Metrotrech they will be there with an aide and usually a Press Officer will be sleeping there too. Some have a quarters that they can sleep at like Leeb at the Rock, and I believe some of the Boro commanders like Bronx, Queens, and Manhattan.

Does the Chief of Department ever act as the CWTC ? Is he part of this rotation or is his response entirely discretionary ?

Back in the late 70’s when we lived in Pearl River, Marty Duffy was the acting Chief of Detectives at NYPD , he needed a driver, they looked up detectives living in Pearl River. My Dad was asked if he would do it. He was acting Chief of D’s driver for about two months. Several times he would get a telephone call in the middle of the night - drive to Duffy’s house about 6 blocks away and then head into the city. Probably similar with FDNY staff chiefs. Find a guy who lives close by.

So they have a driver on standby at there house?
Cuz not all cheifs live in NYC? It's a system how the wake them up?
Chiefs that work the CW have to be in NYC. Aides are picked that live close to the Chief by the chief. Or if not the Chief can respond by himself. If a Chief lives out of NY say NJ they are not allowed to take the vehicle home. A lot of EMS chiefs have to leave their vehicles at there stations. For the most part I believe a good amount of FD Chiefs live in NY state.

Some chiefs don’t have aides. But I believe it’s required for working the CW and they are assigned someone. There is also a extra aide at Metro tech to pick up 421, 422 Chief which would be one of the Div Commanders

Chiefs that work the CW have to be in NYC. Aides are picked that live close to the Chief by the chief. Or if not the Chief can respond by himself. If a Chief lives out of NY say NJ they are not allowed to take the vehicle home. A lot of EMS chiefs have to leave their vehicles at there stations. For the most part I believe a good amount of FD Chiefs live in NY state.

Some chiefs don’t have aides. But I believe it’s required for working the CW and they are assigned someone. There is also a extra aide at Metro tech to pick up 421, 422 Chief which would be one of the Div Commanders
For clarification: EMS chiefs can live outside of NY and they have been known to leave their cars with the PAPD. Fire chiefs (as with all firefighters) live within the allowed New York counties (NYC, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland and Orange).

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
NYC employees' residency requirements are pretty consistent - requirement to live in NYC boroughs or 6 NY counties. FDNY EMS is the only exception. The specific requirements below are from NYC websites and may have a more current version.

FDNY FF: "Be a resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City or live in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk or Westchester County."

FDNY EMT: "FDNY EMTs are not required to live in New York as there is no residency requirements."

NYPD: "You must also be a United States citizen, have a valid New York driver license and live in one of the city's five boroughs or Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties within 30 days of being hired"

NYC Sanitation: "New York State Public Officers Law requires any person employed as a Sanitation Worker in the DSNY to be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau or Westchester Counties during the first two years of employment. After the first two years of employment and for subsequent duration of employment, any person employed as a Sanitation Worker must be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Orange, Rockland or Putnam Counties."

NYC General Residency Requirements: "Most employees of the City of New York are subject to residency requirements pursuant to the Administrative Code (§12- 119 through §12-121), as amended by Local Law 48 of 2009, and/or Mayoral Executive Order No. 131 of 2010, dated February 24, 2010. The requirements for residence may vary based upon an employee’s position, title, status or agency, but most City employees are required to establish and maintain residence in one of the five boroughs (Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island) for two years of City employment. As a result of Local Law 48, most employees may now reside in one of the six designated New York State counties (Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Rockland, Orange or Putnam) after two years of continuous City employment. Other positions, such as positions in the Executive Office of the Mayor and senior-level positions in Mayoral agencies, require that the employee maintain city residence for the duration of his/her employment. Generally, employees have up to 90 days to establish City residence if they are residing outside of the City at the time of appointment. For appointment to certain peace officer titles, the NYS Public Officers Law requires City residence at the time of appointment." https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/reports/100_8_empl_residence_info_sheet.pdf

NYC employees' residency requirements are pretty consistent - requirement to live in NYC boroughs or 6 NY counties. FDNY EMS is the only exception. The specific requirements below are from NYC websites and may have a more current version.

FDNY FF: "Be a resident of one of the five boroughs of New York City or live in Nassau, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Suffolk or Westchester County."

FDNY EMT: "FDNY EMTs are not required to live in New York as there is no residency requirements."

NYPD: "You must also be a United States citizen, have a valid New York driver license and live in one of the city's five boroughs or Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties within 30 days of being hired"

NYC Sanitation: "New York State Public Officers Law requires any person employed as a Sanitation Worker in the DSNY to be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau or Westchester Counties during the first two years of employment. After the first two years of employment and for subsequent duration of employment, any person employed as a Sanitation Worker must be a resident of the City of New York or of Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Orange, Rockland or Putnam Counties."

NYC General Residency Requirements: "Most employees of the City of New York are subject to residency requirements pursuant to the Administrative Code (§12- 119 through §12-121), as amended by Local Law 48 of 2009, and/or Mayoral Executive Order No. 131 of 2010, dated February 24, 2010. The requirements for residence may vary based upon an employee’s position, title, status or agency, but most City employees are required to establish and maintain residence in one of the five boroughs (Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island) for two years of City employment. As a result of Local Law 48, most employees may now reside in one of the six designated New York State counties (Nassau, Westchester, Suffolk, Rockland, Orange or Putnam) after two years of continuous City employment. Other positions, such as positions in the Executive Office of the Mayor and senior-level positions in Mayoral agencies, require that the employee maintain city residence for the duration of his/her employment. Generally, employees have up to 90 days to establish City residence if they are residing outside of the City at the time of appointment. For appointment to certain peace officer titles, the NYS Public Officers Law requires City residence at the time of appointment." https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dcas/downloads/pdf/reports/100_8_empl_residence_info_sheet.pdf
Is it OK if you use your aunt's house in Queens to get your mail?

mack

Administrator
Chiefs and department members who require vehicles for 24/7 response or special details used to keep them at FDNY firehouses closest to their homes.

My father was detailed for summer months in the late 60s to an Emergency Command Post team and their vehicle was kept at a SI firehouse. Members (all selected from SI) would meet at the firehouse, park their POVs and depart in their department vehicle for daily training or to set up command posts for civil disturbances when needed.

Teachers also are excluded from residency requirements.

When I was a kid, my father worked for the city. He was an Assistant Engineer in the Codes area, responsible for construction (and later, plumbing) inspections. The law at that time required ALL city employees to live within the city limits. We didn't . . . living in East Rockaway (Nassau). But my great aunt & uncle lived in Brooklyn, so their address was what my father used on his city info. All of his city mail went there, he voted in their precinct, etc. I cabbaged on to it, too. Got my student subway pass using that address while I was in high school (in Manhattan and, later, Queens).

mack

Administrator
Is it OK if you use your aunt's house in Queens to get your mail?
You are right. That is often how residency requirements are met. Use of a relative's address. There are usually specific documents (mortgage or rent documents, drivers license, etc.) required to get hired in most cities, but difficult to prove non-residency after hired. Many cities often give residents preference in hiring with documentaion of residency, but there is usually no way to check on-going residency.

Are you OTJ, and in what company?

Are you OTJ, and in what company?
Same comment all the time. What does OTJ have to do with knowing stuff? So if I know something about the Yankees am I a Yankees player? If I wear a Yankees shirt and have a bat do I work for the Yankees? Like seriously…. Not relevant to anything period.

"skylerfire", as many of us know here, "you do a GREAT JOB on this site with providing us with excellent videos and answering many questions regarding the FDNY" - BUT - if I may add, in answer to "seniorofficer" question, a simple YES or NO would have covered it.

I was NOT on the FDNY, but I was a Buff of the FDNY.
We have buffs who are "highly respected citizens" living within our communities.
From high ranking police officers, military officers, even doctors and lawyers, paramedics, EMT's, dispatchers, as well as even other firefighters.
The list goes on and on.

Again, thank you for what you do for all of us on this site but I think "seniorofficer" meant no harm in asking that question.
No doubt it was because of your wealth of knowledge of the FDNY that you pass on to us here.

Let me also add that this site offers "private messaging" to each of our members.
It's easy to do and I think it would have served it's purpose quite well here.

A classic kitchen table move. An innocent question and a better than hoped for reaction- two sets of feathers ruffled! That's why he is the seniorofficer.