Staffing/5th Firefighter

Question for the serving FDNY guys, just wandered what the situation is with the 5th man on the engines, are all FDNY Engines still riding with 1 and 4?? If so what is the chance of getting the 5th guy back in the future??

Thanks in advance

JT

All FDNY Engines are riding with 1 Officer and 4 Firefighters except for Engines 44,165,250 & 274 they are the HAZ TECH Engines. However these are the first units to lose the 5th man to fill openings during a tour for whatever reason. After these units are dropped to 4 men then Ladder Companies beging losing the 5th man usually the OV position. As far as getting the 5th man back on more Engines I dont think it will be happening for many various reasons.

When they take the OVM(tillerman) from TDA it slows the roof man because he now becomes the tillerman and can't leave the rig until it is finished being set up or moved to another position in case a Tower Ladder is needed.

Has it got that far yet when they take the guy from a tiller. Because I know they start pulling guys first from aerials and then towerladders.

I don't know about current times. They did in the 80' on occasion. I remember one time they took the OV from 147 and the OV from 157 and we had a pretty good job what a disaster.