Staten Island Squad

Ah, Quite Interesting ... There's been considerable discussion here about this prospect for a while now, as well as other
Official and Un-official Circles; that seem to have made its way into 'Mainstream' Conversation.

Ironic that having Res. Co.5, ( largely under-utilized for years...), Respond into Brooklyn's S. Shore Area was mostly regarded as an idea whose
'Time had finally Come', is now cited as a Bad Idea for S.I. .

A reply to the 'S.I. Live' story states that 'Ladders 77&79,Stapleton and West Brighton are also trained in confined space and high angle rescues'

I was unaware of this ... . Is this a valid reason against an S.I. Squad ? Another Reader replies that NYPD- ESU is also available on S.I. as a High-Angle/
Confined Space Rescue resource. Valid Point ?

mack

Administrator
Thanks sifire1982 for the post.  I am glad to see SI politicians unamously supporting a squad company for the Island.

I would hope that if a squad was formed on SI it would be an addition to resource not a company convertision.  If the just convert a company all they did was borrow from Peter to pay Paul

Make the West Brighton single Engine a squad.  They go to all the work on the north shore of any consequence anyway.l

Time for another double house  somewhere and an additional battalion.

What were the criteria for the establishment, the location, and the total number of Squads presently in service?

Do those criteria now exist in SI and do they still exist in the present Squad areas?  In other words, could the locations of the present Squads be shuffled to place one of them on SI?

I'd say any single company house - E158, E154, E156 have the room although 158 & 156 are older tighter houses. E159 shares quarters with SAT 5, so probably not them. E152 and T079 both share quarters with Battalions 21&22. In my opinion E168 is the best choice on the island, newest house with plenty of space. Only thing is it's not centrally located on the island - south shore.

168's quarters really does not have that much room. With their rig, the reserve engine and the EMS vehicles it's quite full. Also, beginning Monday 6/22, L84 will be moving in for a year as their quarters are being renovated.

They're probably turn 165 into a squad. They just got that squad style engine & they're SOC already.

Bulldog

Bulldog
SIfire82 said:
They're probably turn 165 into a squad. They just got that squad style engine & they're SOC already.
However just turning one of the engine companies into a squad really doesn't help the situation in SI that much.  If they are going to form a squad company there they really need to add a company, not just change one.  There is already a shortage of units on SI in many cases.

mack

Administrator
I believe we already have an extensive thread on the SI Squad questions.

memory master said:
168's quarters really does not have that much room. With their rig, the reserve engine and the EMS vehicles it's quite full. Also, beginning Monday 6/22, L84 will be moving in for a year as their quarters are being renovated.
Any idea on where E164 will be moved to? I'm also assuming 84 lost some boxes and 87 gained some. For boxes near me, 168 is 3rd due. Now first due truck 84 would be coming from that distance. 87 would probably get here faster.

dan

Three firehouse renovations/female bathroom installations commence in the next week or so. 164/84, 163/83 and 158. 164 staying put, 83 staying put in cage and 158 as well. 163 will be responding out of back up FDOC/Old SICO on Slosson Ave. No alarm assignment changes.

More S.I. Squad 'Chatter' ... :

http://www.dailydispatch.com/StateNews/NY/2015/June/23/Officials.Staten.Island.Deprived.Of.Specialized.FDNY.Rescue.Unit.aspx

CBSNews NY:

FDNY officials would not comment on the situation other than to say, ?FDNY has received the letter and is reviewing the request.?

Former FDNY Commissioner Tom Von Essen said he never added a specialized squad because the nature of Staten Island?s fires and incidents never necessitated it. The population includes more single-family homes than apartment dwellings, and less risk.

But elected officials disagree, saying it?s a critical service needed right now.

Currently in an emergency, Staten Islanders have to rely on other boroughs and wait for a special squad to cross the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.

?We believe the level of fire protection on Staten Island is not fair, and we want to see the mayor address this long-standing inequity,? Oddo said.

Adding a squad would cost more than $2 million a year and include four officers and 25 firefighters

STAjo said:
Former FDNY Commissioner Tom Von Essen said he never added a specialized squad because the nature of Staten Island?s fires and incidents never necessitated it. The population includes more single-family homes than apartment dwellings, and less risk.

Not a very well thought out response in my opinion.
If I am to buy into not needing them for a single family homes, then why was Squad 1's response onto S.I. not modified?
Why were the responses for all Squads not modified so they do not go on Single Family Homes?

Florian Knight said:
STAjo said:

Not a very well thought out response in my opinion.
If I am to buy into not needing them for a single family homes, then why was Squad 1's response onto S.I. not modified?
Why were the responses for all Squads not modified so they do not go on Single Family Homes?
von essen was in over his head as FC .....his comments today have even less weight.