Station Locations Question

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
So pre-internet how did you obtain a list of fire house/station locations?

Granted this wasn't the exact question but..

As one of the younger guys who had internet when first visiting stations.

I discovered FDNYTRUCKS.Com and got the addresses off there.

I didn't have a GPS so I would print out map quest directions to get around.

When I first started my dad would take me back then I didn't know as much as I know now.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Granted this wasn't the exact question but..

As one of the younger guys who had internet when first visiting stations.

I discovered FDNYTRUCKS.Com and got the addresses off there.

I didn't have a GPS so I would print out map quest directions to get around.

When I first started my dad would take me back then I didn't know as much as I know now.
So how did you find out the fire stations locations pre-computer?

I didn't I was 6 when we got our first computer.

That's why I said "Granted this wasn't the exact question but.."

But maybe an address book

I use the definitive "American Fire Services 1983"- 600 pages, 80 maps. Over the decades I have used my copy so many times that the cover is long ago worn off.

Since the author is a frequent contributor on this site, maybe you can convince him that it is time for an updated edition.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
From WNYF & also from a small red shirt pocket type book with address's for a particular Boro ....each also had a foldout street map for the Boro.
Do
From WNYF & also from a small red shirt pocket type book with address's for a particular Boro ....each also had a foldout street map for the Boro.
Are we talking about the old RED BOOK from the 50's? It also provided the traveling times of the trains between stations?

gym

The 1952 edition of The Complete Street Guides for Brooklyn, Queens and Manhattan & Bronx published by Geographia Map Co. included addresses of all the fire houses in each borough.

If you're in London, you can use Geographers' A-Z London Street Atlas You will find:

- The LFB Paddington Station in the old 'A' Division. On the Harrow Road between Westbourne Terrace and Warwick Crescent .The subject of the wonderful book "The Red Watch"

-The old Westminster quarters on Greycoat Place between Strutton Ground and Artillery Lane. Was first due at Buckingham Palace- across Victoria Street, up Buckingham Gate, then cross Birdcage Walk and you're there. Hope they aren't changing the guard.

-The Brixton Station in South London. On Brixton Road between Atlantic Road and Electric Avenue. The 15th Division with an almost Cockney accent.