SUPER PUMPER 1

Yes the "old Super Pumper and Super Pumper tender was staffed by the members of Engine Co. 207, in Downtown Brooklyn, near the B'klyn end of the Brooklyn Bridge and near several major highways. The Satellites were and are staffed by the Engine Co. in which firehouse thay were/are quartered. Example Engine 9 in "China Town" has Satellite 1in Quarters and some additional manpower are assigned each Tour of Duty to staff both the Satellite and Engine 9. Also Ladder Co. 6 "The Dragon Wagon" one of only a few Tiller Aerial Ladders in the F.D.N.Y., is also in the same firehouse. Engine 9 has a new rig with, I have heard, a pump capacity of 2,000 GPM and the new Satellites have a pumping of 5,000 G.P.M. These New Satellites are the first normally assigned Satellites units that have any pumps, the old one were just "Hose Wagons: with Super Pumper 4.5"
latter 5" Hose. A Satellite almost always responds on any 2nd Alarm. Photos (Off Internet) Below of "New" 2021 Satellite (On Left), and "Old" Satellite (on Right) NOTE Hose Manifold on the Street In Front of the Rig.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 Retired

View attachment 24548View attachment 24549
Nope, no pumps on the satellites ever, trust me, anyone here who knows the satellites can confirm this... there used to be a 2000 gpm pumper that accompanied each satellite back when all the other pumpers were 1000 gpm... the new satellites and the old ones had / have no pumps, just plumbing and a huge deck gun. Maybe they can flow up to 5000 gmp through that huge gun / monitor.... all FDNY pumpers nowadays except the squads have 2000 gpm pumps, squads are 1000 gpm. Maybe check this link / thread >>> https://nycfire.net/forums/threads/satellite-units.58451/

Last edited:
You may want to check your information. I will check on it myself also. I still work as a Peer Counselor for the FDNY so I will check on this the next time I work, which is tomorrow. I may take a call to one of the "Satellite" Engine Cos. I still have friends in Engine 9/ Satellite 1
Capt. Bob Rainey FDNY Eng. 26 Retired

You may want to check your information. I will check on it myself also. I still work as a Peer Counselor for the FDNY so I will check on this the next time I work, which is tomorrow. I may take a call to one of the "Satellite" Engine Cos. I still have friends in Engine 9/ Satellite 1

'' I will check on it myself also. I still work as a Peer Counselor for the FDNY so I will check on this the next time I work, which is tomorrow. I may take a call to one of the "Satellite" Engine Cos. '' I still have friends in Engine 9/ Satellite 1
All due respect, but l do not have to check the information.

Please do, or even do an online search of " FDNY Satellites ". Or check FDNYtrucks.com go to Manhattan Engine 9, or any of the other Satelite engine companies, and check the specs of the Satellites. >>>> http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/manhattan/e9.htm read the Engine company specs / stats, then scroll down to Satellite 1 and read those specs / stats...

Last edited:
Perhaps you are both right. I read somewhere that the satellites are technically the engine and the hose wagon as they need both apparatus to operate. If that is correct then the Satellite does in fact have a pump, which just happens to be on the engine and not the wagon itself. Hopefully one of our members will be able to clear this factoid up.

Perhaps you are both right. I read somewhere that the satellites are technically the engine and the hose wagon as they need both apparatus to operate. If that is correct then the Satellite does in fact have a pump, which just happens to be on the engine and not the wagon itself. Hopefully one of our members will be able to clear this factoid up.
Well, yes, the combined two vehicles if seen as one unit, have a 2000gpm pump which is inside the engine company / pumper vehicle, but Captain784, if l am reading correctly, thinks the latest Satellite VEHlCLE itself has a 5000gpm pump..... please read what he/ Captain784 is saying.... ( in the bold below ) this is his quote copied & pasted >>> '' ....Engine 9 has a new rig with, I have heard, a pump capacity of 2,000 GPM and the new Satellites have a pumping of 5,000 G.P.M. These New Satellites are the first normally assigned Satellites units that have any pumps, the old one were just "Hose Wagons: with Super Pumper 4.5" latter 5'' hose '' ... and from an older post that led to all this '' With the 5,000 GPM Pumps in the New Satellites already responding to fires, things look interesting.'' <<< Do you see this line ???

When l posted what l posted l was not asking a question, l was making a factual / truthful statement..... not just "my truth" ( l'm not one drop woke ) but the true facts / only truth... l am on this site every day, l have known about the satellite vehicles themselves / hose wagons.... for decades.... and have followed the latetest threads on the 2019 satellites since it began..... THERE ARE NO PUMPS lNSTALLED ON THE 2019 SATELLlTE VEHlCLES AT ALL, not 5000gpm, nor 2000 gpm...... Please, someone bail me out here, this is getting nonsensical . lololol

anyone in doubt, please check this link >>>> http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/manhattan/e9.htm and show me where the built in pump is on the satellite VEHlCLE ????

video >>> https://nycfire.net/forums/threads/brand-new-satellite-3.62469/ A vehicle, lots of large diameter hose, large diameter intake connections to accept flow from an external pump source, internal large plumbing l'd assume, and a LARGE deck gun / monitor.... NO PUMP CONTROLS...

Last edited:
Well, yes, the combined two vehicles if seen as one unit, have a 2000gpm pump which is inside the engine company / pumper vehicle, but Captain748, if l am reading correctly, thinks the latest Satellite VEHlCLE itself has a 5000gpm pump..... please read what he is saying.... ( in the bold below ) this is his quote copied & pasted >>> '' ....Engine 9 has a new rig with, I have heard, a pump capacity of 2,000 GPM and the new Satellites have a pumping of 5,000 G.P.M. These New Satellites are the first normally assigned Satellites units that have any pumps, the old one were just "Hose Wagons: with Super Pumper 4.5" latter 5'' hose '' ... and from an older post that led to all this '' With the 5,000 GPM Pumps in the New Satellites already responding to fires, things look interesting.'' <<< Do you see this line ???

When l posted what l posted l was not asking a question, l was making a factual / truthful statement..... not just "my truth" ( l'm not one drop woke ) but the true facts / only truth... l am on this site every day, l have known about the satellite vehicles themselves / hose wagons.... for decades.... and have followed the latetest threads on the 2019 satellites since it began..... THERE ARE NO PUMPS lNSTALLED ON THE 2019 SATELLlTE VEHlCLES AT ALL, not 5000gpm, nor 2000 gpm...... Please, someone bail me out here, this is getting nonsensical . lololol

anyone in doubt, please check this link >>>> http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/manhattan/e9.htm and show me where the built in pump is on the satellite VEHlCLE ????

video >>> https://nycfire.net/forums/threads/brand-new-satellite-3.62469/ A vehicle, lots of large diameter hose, large diameter intake connections to accept flow from an external pump source, internal large plumbing l'd assume, and a LARGE deck gun / monitor.... NO PUMP CONTROLS...

Sorry Brothers you are RIGHT there is NO pumps on the new FDNY Satellites. I called Engine Co. 9 that is quartered with Satellite 1 in Chinatown and they confirmed it NO PUMPS on the new, or old for that matter old Satellites. At one time a member of the Staten Island Satellite Engine Co., before they were delivered, told me that he thought they were putting pumps in the New Satellites. I went with it but I was wrong. I think It may have been a good idea that NEVER Happened. I guess it is too hard to arrive at serious fires in many areas and still have enough hydrants capable of supplying enough G.P.M. "Egg on my face" Capt. Bob Rainey

Originally when organized at ENG*211 the SP had its own crew .....the Satellites had 2 FFs assigned.......after the SP moved to 207 they staffed the Pumper & Tender & the Satellites were staffed by the ENG they were Quartered with.....there also was Car 71 a separate Satellite Officer to supervise the Satellite FFs at a job.

I think Super Pumper and Tenders were with Engine 211 & Ladder 119 on Hooper St. near the Brooklyn Navy Yard, in Williamsburg. Then after the 1975 layoffs it was moved to Engine 207. Yes up to the move to E-207 I had it own crews. I have seen photos of helmets Black front shield with Super Pumper and Captains Front Piece White with Super Pumper on Black Insert on it, the Captain and Firemen rode in Car 71.See Below. Capt. Bob Rainey FDNY E-ng. 26 retired.

Super Pumper Captain Front Piece.jpg

mack

Administrator
im curious was the super pumper and tender cross staffed by 207?
The Super Pumper and Super Tender were originally quartered at 26 Hooper Street with Engine 211 and Ladder 119 - 1965-1972. Engine, truck, Super Pumper and Super Tender were originally fully staffed. Super Pumper system personnel were volunteers who were interviewed and selected based on diesel engine and tractor trailer driving experience. The Super Pumper responded on 2nd alarms in Lower Manhattan, Red Hook, Williamsburg and Newtown Creek area, 3rd alarms citywide, and when special called.

SUPER PUMPER 1 BROOKLYN
ORG. 26 Hooper St. At E-211 (Oct. 1, 1965)
RELOC. 172 Tillary St. At E-207 (Apr. 12, 1972)
DISB. (Jul. 1, 1975)

SUPER TENDER 1 BROOKLYN
ORG. 26 Hooper St. At E-211 (Nov. 10, 1965)
RELOC. 172 Tillary St. At E-207 (Apr. 12, 1972)
DISB. (Jul. 1, 1975)

1666931496871.png

1666931608680.png

1666932359294.png

1666932463505.png

1666931681053.png

1666931718909.png

Last edited:
The previously referenced Satellite Officer was staffed by a lieutenant and a driver who was detailed from the Super Pumper. They responded in a station wagon (Car 633, 762 and finally 71) that carried an additional manifold.

I'm pretty sure that the original Super Pumper is now in a private museum, but does anyone know what happened with the Super Tender?

I'm pretty sure that the original Super Pumper is now in a private museum, but does anyone know what happened with the Super Tender?
The Super Pumper is up in Bay City, Michigan. The Tender and cab I believe are also in private hands out in California.

If my memory serves me correctly from almost 50 years ago, Firemen, title at that time, were assigned to the Satellite units. Other firemen were assigned to the Super Pumper & Tender. When vacancies existed for a tour or tours firemen and alo officer were detailed or worked overtime around the system. The firemen received additional pay for the fact that they were assigned to the Super Pumper system which required them to have special skills and knowledge. I worked in FDNY Engine 27 on Franklin Street, on Manhattan's Lower West Side, not far from the Spring Street Quarters of Satellite 1 and the Satellite Officer/Captain and his driver. Being a newer firemen, in Eng. 27 I was many times Detailed to Satellite 1, as a 2nd firemen on the rig. Latter after I was a newer E.C.C. =Engine Co. Chauffeur/ Motor Pump Operator/Driver I was sometimes detailed to drive the Satellite. One Sunday Day Tour in the Summer i was detailed to Drive Sat. 1 and when I arrived I found the 1954 Mack Pumper in the photo below was in use as the "Spare" Satellite. Mid afternoon we responded on the 3rd alarm, to what went to a 4th Alarm, in group of Row Frame Buildings in Bushwick Brooklyn. When were reported to the Incident Commander, he ordered us to put our "Deck Gun" in operation to suppress fire spreading along the cornices and fronts of the wood row frame buildings. I said to the Chief "we do not have a regular Satellite rig" to which he said I don't care just put water on fire where I told you. I wish I had photos or videos of that operation. I think it was the summer of 1974 so the Mack pumper was 20 years old, but in very good shape and pumped like hell. So at least that day the spare Satellite had a pump.
Captain Bob Rainey "The Rainman" FDNY Engine 26 retired.FDNY 1954 Mack Sattelite Spare.jpg

Any updates on when the super pumper will be put into service?
It’s been so long who knows what will be done with it. I wonder if they count when units like this need to be replaced by date of delivery or date put into service 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s been so long who knows what will be done with it. I wonder if they count when units like this need to be replaced by date of delivery or date put into service 🤷🏻‍♂️
My guess is that '' in service '' date coupled with actual use must have some part in determining renewal on these special use / rarely used apparatus. Realistically should hold up much longer that 10 years.

Last edited: