Technical Advice - Road Crash Rescue

Good morning Gents,

Just wondering in USA what the latest thoughts around glass removal in vehicle extrication. When i first started out in fire and rescue, the general consensus was that all glass should be managed (removed) in a vehicle prior to cutting operations. In more recently i'm seeing glass left in where it does not impede the extrication plan. For example leaving reap passenger window intact when doing a B-pillar tear on the drivers side.

Just wondering what is currently being taught/conducted around the fire departments in the USA and the thought process behind it.

Thanks Team.

Often removing the glass 1st, is a waste of time. Cover the glass with pressure sensitive tape near any trapped patients. Then if any of the glass fails it will not fall on a trapped patient. With the power of today's extrication tools cutting into the car to "Remove the car from the patient, NOT just the patient from the car." is the best way to quickly get patient/s out of the car and ready for transport. Years ago, I took and later taught a course, called "S.A.V.E." = "Swift Advance Vehicle Extrication", and the concepts in that course are very valid today. My instructor was Captain John Viggiano formerly of FDNY Rescue co. 2. BROTHER Rest in Peace Captain "Vig" -Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

Thanks Bob, i appreciate your advice and counsel as always.
That accronym S.A.V.E. i have not heard before so i will look into it. i like the sound of it.
I recently attended https://arro.org.au/ earlier this year which is a challenge and conference for emergency responders in the Australaisan region which pulls a big crowd in the area down hear.
I thought i would share a photo of a technique i haven't seen before. an alternate version of a dash lift wo try and raise the steering column. 4x4 braces the load across the top sill of the winshield, with another running vertical along side the A-pilar. The master instructor works for webber rescue systems, a leading european hydraulic rescue tool manufacturer. He's the chief instructor that oversees 280 other instructors world wide. pretty amazing guy, also gave input to the development of the Formular 1 Halo protection system in a rescue capcity. He had some pretty crazy techniques, but i guess many are considered crazy until they are adopted.
Apologies for the Australian sense of humor, grown men still getting a laugh out of sculpting images of the male form in the windshield glass.

Thanks once again Bob.

Jess

Attachments

• 20230628_103157.jpg
    20230628_103157.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Bob, i appreciate your advice and counsel as always.
That accronym S.A.V.E. i have not heard before so i will look into it. i like the sound of it.
I recently attended https://arro.org.au/ earlier this year which is a challenge and conference for emergency responders in the Australaisan region which pulls a big crowd in the area down hear.
I thought i would share a photo of a technique i haven't seen before. an alternate version of a dash lift wo try and raise the steering column. 4x4 braces the load across the top sill of the winshield, with another running vertical along side the A-pilar. The master instructor works for webber rescue systems, a leading european hydraulic rescue tool manufacturer. He's the chief instructor that oversees 280 other instructors world wide. pretty amazing guy, also gave input to the development of the Formular 1 Halo protection system in a rescue capcity. He had some pretty crazy techniques, but i guess many are considered crazy until they are adopted.
Apologies for the Australian sense of humor, grown men still getting a laugh out of sculpting images of the male form in the windshield glass.

Thanks once again Bob.

Jess
Do you guys have hydraulic rams? I feel that you could get the same result with less effort. That said rams can be hard to place on the steering column when the driver is entanglement. Definitely an interesting idea.

Last edited:
Do you guys have hydraulic rams? I feel that you could get the same result with less effort. That said rams can be hard to place on the steering column when the driver is entanglement. Definitely an interesting idea.
Hi Lebby,
Certainly do have rams, and agree while the above technique is interesting it wouldn't be my go to for a dash lift, but as one of my instructors once told me when i was a rookie, "Rescue is the sciene of options" so a million ways to skin a cat.
Speaking of Rams, i thought i would share another trick he showed us in heavy rescue as yet another alternate to lifting bags using rams. see picture. i was a little sceptical on this one because it's not a rigid lift, your lifting off the suspension. However he countered that by saying if s pedestrian or motorcycle driver is pinned, you may only need to lift less than half an inch to free someone, which is a fair point. this practise hower requires a different attachment for alloy rims as a standard ram show could push through the alloy so they had attachments or 'shoes' to spread the lifting force on an alooy rim.

Food for thought anyway!!

Jess

Attachments

• 20230628_093625.jpg
    20230628_093625.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 7
"Aussie_Fire", "Captain784", and "Lebby" - Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts here with our members and visitors to this site.

Captain784 - you mention the late Captain John Viggiano of Rescue 2.
Many years ago I would attend training classes at The Rock sponsored by the late FDNY Lt Jimmy Curran, to benefit the FDNY Burn Center.
I remember Capt Viggino giving a class on vehicle extrication to those of us who attended.
Some of the Best Fire Department Classes I have ever attended in my life
I am very THANKFUL to Both Captain Viggiano and Lt Curran for sharing their knowledge and experience with me, and so many others outside of the FDNY - MAY THEY REST IN PEACE