Television from a different time

We recently learned of the death of Della Reese on November 19, 2017 at 86 years old.

Many of us remember her starring in a TV series called "Touched by an Angel", which ran from September 1994 - August, 2003, airing on CBS not too long ago.

Della Reese played the part of Tess, along with Roma Downey as Monica, and John Dye as Andrew. All angels traveling the earth inspiring people at crossroads in their lives to turn to God.

I guess today a national television channel, like CBS, NBC, or ABC, might feel they violate somebody's rights if a show like this is broadcast today.

Here is a small sample of one scene.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yygN6RyNC0U

Last edited:
My response to the networks would be that you're violating my rights by not showing it. I am fed up with "offended", my civil liberties and other nonsense. Sorry, didn't mean to branch off the "old TV" theme of this thread.

As we step back to television from a different time, there were some really great variety shows. Everything from funny skits, visits from talented actors, plenty of song and great talent.

These Variety Shows ran from the early 1960s and into the late 80s. Hard to believe but even the one's that played in the late 80s are now a quarter century old.

There was the Andy Williams Show from 1962 - 1971

The Dean Martin Show from 1965 - 1974

The Carol Burnett Show from 1967 - 1978

And in the 1980s there was the Mandrell Sisters. Three very talented sisters who could sing, dance, and play several musical instruments. I think much more talent than we see today. But I really wanted to focus on them because, "well, honestly...., I had a little crush on all three of them". But I wasn't the only one. I knew a whole group of firefighters, that felt the same as I did.

I think the show played on Sunday nights (?) but whatever night it was, those guys would "pray" that a run didn't come in during that hour or so. After that, any hour of the night was okay.

Well, for those of us who remember, I'm sure you'll appreciate this talent again. For those who never saw them, watch this and see what you think. Anybody on television today come close to this kind of talent ?

Okay ladies, "take it away".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR7GL78g37s

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm7_KoUthIo

Last edited:
I remember sitting in the station on Saturday nights catching reruns of 1-Adam12.  I was a fire policeman then, and I don't recall ever seeing a complete episode.  We were guaranteed a fire or a nasty accident on I-95 every Saturday night it seemed.

One of the favorites filmed before a live audience in the 1950s and shown on black and white television was the Honeymooners Show.

That show was based on two families living in Brooklyn, NY on Chauncey St. The two families were named Mr and Mrs Ralph Kramdon, and Mr and Mrs Ed Norton. Ralph was a bus driver on Madison Ave in Manhattan and Ed was a city sewer worker. Their wives Alice Kramdon and Trixie Norton would stay at home cooking and cleaning as most wives did in those days.

Ed Norton was played by Art Carney and Ralph Kramdon was played by Jackie Gleason. Jackie Gleason grew up at 364 Chauncey St, but he wanted to use the actual address of his best friends apartment as the home of the Kramdons and the upstairs occupants of the Nortons for the show. The TV family of the Kramdons address became known 328 Chauncey St, apt 3A.

Chauncey St is in a section of Brooklyn that had a lot of fires in the 1970s and into the 80s. So it was one of the areas where, as a buff, I would hang out chasing the rigs. Maybe it was in the early 80s, that I decided to take a look to see where this famous actor/bus driver actually grew up. When I got to the street, I wasn't sure of the exact address. So I asked a few of the locals who were "brown bagging it" on the street corner. They ALL knew and told me where it was.

I found it pretty easy then, because outside that building was a statue of that famous character known as America's most famous bus driver, Ralph Kramdon. I would hope that his memory is still there with that statue in front of 364 Chauncey St where he grew up.

There is also a large 8 foot statue of Americas Most Famous Bus Driver, known as Ralph Kramdon, aka Jackie Gleason, at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in NYC.

Here is a short scene of Ralph Kramdon and Ed Norton from the many live shows they did together making Americans laugh.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ylvWg6AV7g

Last edited:
My wife and I were very happily married for 35 years. But she passed away a few years ago.

This was her favorite television show. She said it reminded her of us.

As I watch it, I tend to think she was right. Except for the fact that I didn't live in Queens or work for United Parcel Service.

It was called; "The King of Queens".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0cdh25rmI

Last edited:
nfd2004 said:
My wife and I were very happily married for 35 years. But she passed away a few years ago.

This was her favorite television show. She said it reminded her of us.

As I watch it, I tend to think she was right. Except for the fact that I didn't live in Queens or work for United Parcel Service.

It was called; "The King of Queens".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR0cdh25rmI
Yeah Bill, that is definitely you........lol.

A very talented guy named Rich Little did some great impersonations of famous people from a different time. Many of those famous people have since passed on.

Here is Rich Little on the David Letterman Show doing some of his greatest.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=78sSn3E_Vvc

Last edited:
For those of us who have been following the thread; "New Squad Co for S.I." in reply #88, and the discussion of what number that newly organized unit will be designated, member "raybrag" made the comment: "Squad 154 Where Are You".

For those of us who were lucky enough to understand what he was talking about, "raybrag" was using that in place of "Car 54 Where Are You". A comedy series about two NYC police officers assigned to the so called 53 Pct. It was a very popular show that gave us all a few laughs.

It was actually a time when, unlike today, there was a GREAT Amount of respect for police officers, whether in NYC, or anyplace else. Most of us who were around then I'm sure would agree.

But for those who might NOT have been around to watch this weekly comedy series, this was the theme song that was used and the two star players of the show.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRpJ_fd5Vw0

Last edited:
From 1971 - 1979 many of us, no matter who you were, where you were from, what you looked like, or where you were born, sat down once a week to watch a character by the name of Archie Bunker. Along with his wife Edith, and a daughter Gloria, with an ultra liberal son-in-law named Mike, they would entertain us through laughter.

None of us were spared from laughing at ourselves, as Archie described every one of us in his own confused way. A big mouth kind of guy, who always seemed to be the looser after putting his foot in his mouth.

The show ran from January, 1971 to April, 1979. We all laughed then as it revolved around the life of a working class bigot and his family.

The series became one of televisions most influential comedic programs and one of the greatest television series of all time. It ranked Number ONE in the yearly Nielsen ratings from 1971 to 1976. It became the FIRST series to reach the milestone of having topped the Nielsen Ratings for FIVE Consecutive Years in a row.

Maybe what our society needs today is to lighten up a little and let Archie back into our lives with his politically incorrect comments. Maybe its time we all have a few laughs looking at ourselves.

A lot of us watched it. Do you remember it ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fye4uY3pCvo

Last edited:
Here are a few examples of that guy named Archie Bunker.

WARNING.... Before We Had A Thing Called; "Political Correctness". It was a Happy Time when we ALL laughed at ourselves.

Archie and the Polish cop:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSL2Y9UpEOM

Archie Bunker on the Irish:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIHDeNmNlOo

Archie introduces the family to Sammy:
NOTE - To play this video you will need to take an additional step and click on "Watch this video on Youtube"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ys3yVu42ZI

Archie on Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz, Rabinowitz:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4eO4zuEUlk

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
Popular TV shows of the 1960s:

http://www.classic-tv.com/shows/decade/1960s

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-60s-tv-shows/ranker-tv

mack

Administrator
1970s:

http://www.classic-tv.com/shows/decade/1970s

1980s:

http://www.classic-tv.com/shows/decade/1980s

When television was from a different time, there were two well known famous singers, Mr Johnny Cash and Mr Glen Campbell.

Around that same time there was a famous lady on television from Tennessee that maybe some of you remember.

Her name; "Miss Minnie Pearl" - Televisions Hottest Girl.

Here we have all three TV stars appearing together, as Miss Pearl talks about her visit to New York City.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWdM7P88nwQ

Last edited:
Many of us will remember a TV Show called "Laverne and Shirley".

Today, December 18, 2018 we learn of the passing of Penny Marshall, who played the part of Laverne in that show.

She grew up in the Bronx on the Grand Concourse and married another famous actor named Rob Reiner, aka Michael Stivic - "Meathead", on the "All in the Family" Show. Rob Reiner lived across the street from her in the Bronx.

Penny Marshall passed away at age 75.

This was their theme song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJzF8_df1R8

Last edited:
In the 1970s, the names of characters like; Fred Sanford, Lamont Sanford, Aunt Ester, Grady Wilson, Bubba Bexley, Donna Harris, Julio Fuentes, Officer Smith, Officer Swanhauser, were familiar to many of us as we tuned in a popular weekly TV series about a junk dealer living in South Central L.A.'s, Watts area.

There were 128 Episodes which ran weekly from 1972 - 1977. The name of that TV Series was "Sanford and Son".

Here is one small segment from it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF5V2d-i2UY

Last edited: