THANK YOU for a GREAT DAY

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to The Bendick Family; John, Tommy, and John Jr, and also Mike Messar (Truck 4), for organizing and setting up such a Great Member Meeting which took place on Friday Oct 7, 2011.

Anybody that was there would have no problems agreeing with me that this was certainly one of the Best. A few months ago, things looked a little "sour" but when that happened, they just picked up the ball and ran with it.

The day started with a tour of the FDNY Fire Academy. I had been there last year, but there was so much more to see. Both FDNY members Tommy and John Bendick Jr gave us a tour second to none. They brought us into the training areas behind the scene, where we could see the strenious training these New York City Firefighters are required to participate in. There wasn't a thing left out. In fact, I think we might have been there almost three hours. Thank you Tom and John. You guys did a great job. It was GREAT !!!

Next we went on to the Yonkers Special Operations Command of the Yonkers Fire Dept. There we were given a tour by Chief Fitzpatrick who is in charge of this Huge Operation. There is an entire building dedicated to this SOC Operation. Inside that building is kept the equipment required of the Yonkers Fire Department Special Operations Command. Along with some Reserve Pumpers there was a Reserve Squad Co as Sqd 21, A Field Comm Unit, A Decon Unit, A huge Trailer with all of the very latest equipment required in the form of extrication and building collapse. Even a small crane which was purchased from Army Surplus. Besides these vehicles there were every type of portable equipment that could be needed in basically any type of disaster. It was quite clear to me that somebody had done their homework. In addition we were told that the Yonkers Fire Dept has many members trained as HazMat Techs, and USAR Teams. I think its safe to say that we were all quite impressed with what we saw of the Yonkers Fire Dept. I would certainly like to Thank Chief Fitzpatrick for giving us such an Excellent and Detailed tour of The Yonkers Fire Department Special Operations Command. I think it is clear to see that Chief Fitzpatrick is very proud of the members of his Dept

Next around 4 pm we headed to the Homefield House were we were treated to I guess, what was referred to as a "snack" But, there was certainly plenty there to be considered a full meal, even by a "Super Heavy Weight" like myself. We were given handouts, and there were many WNYF, Fire Engineering, and Firehouse Magazines, all for the taking, donated by retired Capt John Bendick Sr. There were old company journals etc. While many of us ate and looked through the many artifacts, Tommy Bendick was setting up a slide show and an audio speaker for listening to those somewhat busier years of fire radio traffic.

I guess it was around 6 PM when we got the word that it was time to go to the Yonkers Police Emergency Service Headquarters. There we were greated by Yonkers ESU Police Officer Mike Messar and his long time partner.

ESU Officer Mike Messar (aka Truck 4) told us he has about 13 years on the job, 11 of which he has been with the ESU. We were told that there could be between 2-4 Emergency Service Trucks on duty during a given shift. Officer Messar started by showing us one of the newer standard ESU trucks. One of the differences between the newer and older trucks is that there is more seating room in the newer vehicles. Then we went inside where other ESU vehicles were parked. A large Command Vehicle, A new Swift Boat used by the Marine Division, a large Emergency Service Truck which carried a huge assortment of equipment, and an armored vehicle to be used during hostile situtations. We learned that there are approximately 45 Yonkers Police Officers assigned to the Emergency Service Division. It was an Excellent tour given by Yonkers ESU Officer Mike Messar and his partner. Thank you very much.

So then it was back to the Homefield House which was only a few miles from the Yonkers ESU Hqs. The chow was there. And Plenty of it. I mean everything from chips to beer. Salad to zities. What a Great job.

If you weren't there, then you sure missed a Great time. I promise you, anybody who was there would agree, it was the Best Ever. What a Great job done. The entire get together, I would have to say was a "Huge Success".

You just can't ask for a better group of people. I am very greatful for all the work and organizing that was put into this day.

I know that Zack K., took some pictures that he says he will post for us. Just a Great day, Some Great People, and by far some Great Chow.

Thank You.
  Bill Dennis (aka Willy "D")

I am really sorry and I forgot to mention this. Site Member and Yonkers Firefighter "r1SmokeEater" had orginally started the ball rolling on the tour of the Yonkers Fire Dept SOC Unit. I remember Tommy B. mentioning that, and also that he wasn't able to attend because he had to stay home with his young son.

So Thanks Jamie (r1smoke..). We sure enjoyed it.

mack

Administrator
Ditto.  Warmly welcomed, felt like you knew everyone as a friend immediately.  Great tours, personalized.  Guys who gave us the tours were knowledgeable, friendly, open.  Saw everything at our pace.  All questions answered. We were treated great.  Saw units train, new apparatus and equipment, innovative ideas - we were welcomed by everyone we met.  This was first-rate.  Food was great.  Dinner together was an experience by itself - 20 guys who were great to be with, good stories, movies, audios, videos, lots of old firehouse journals and memorabilia.  They were a history class in firefighting for over a hundred years.  Thanks to all involved.  The Bendick family was terrific for all they did.  Tom and John did a great tour of the Rock.  The Yonkers Fire Department visit with Chief Fitzpatrick was impressive.  What a good guy!  And Mike Messar showed us all the great new stuff they have at ESU.  I hope you promoted soon.  Tom Bendick, hope you get promoted soon too.  Both great guys.  Thank you Bill for picking guys up and helping this happen.  Special thanks to John Bendick Sr - a first rate firefighter, leader - a war hero, too - Combat Engineer.  Thank you to everyone I met (Zack, Elwood, Herb, Atlas, Bill, John, Tom, Mike, John Sr everyone else) you were all too good to me.  And last - I give Mario my greatest admiration - riding a bike from a good distance away in NJ, through rush hour traffic, all the way to Randall's Island to be with us. 

Same here, this was the 2nd get together I've attended and the first dinner and it was as good as it can be. Talking with John Bendick and Atlas was like receiving a college course on the FDNY. Once again, thanks to all who made it possible. 

jbendick

Administrator
To all those that attended the event on Friday thank you for making it a great day.  My sons and I were proud to be able to put this day together along with Willy D.  We also want to thank Jamie for organizing the visit to Yonkers SOC.  A special thank you to Chief Fitzpatrick, ?a family that has given so much to the citizens of Yonkers,? for his time and expertise in giving the tour.
On a personal note I would like to say how proud I am of my son?s John and Tom on the FDNY.  For those who may not know I also have a son Michael on the Passaic Fire Dept.  To have your son?s follow in your footstep is the greatest honor.
Mack I want to thank you for your kind words.  I cannot accept the honor of war hero.  I spent my time in Vietnam like so many others and many who never returned.  Those are the real heroes.  I stated many times in the past to the best of my knowledge I never shot at anyone or was shot at. 
We all need to stand up and support our young men and women who are serving this great country.  They are all volunteers like you and your son were. 

Seems to have been a great day....would love to join next years gathering. Looking forward to the photos

I Had a great day and I would like to thank the Bendick Family, Mike Messar and Chief Fitzpatrick for putting this together. It was great to see old friends and to make new ones.

DSCN0627.jpg
DSCN0626.jpg
DSCN0624.jpg
DSCN0623.jpg
DSCN0622.jpg
DSCN0621.jpg
DSCN0620.jpg
DSCN0619.jpg
DSCN0625.jpg