The FDNY CF Mack: pure genius!

When looking at photos of the easrliest FDNY CF Macks, if you can’t read the shop number then what spotting features tell you what model year the rig is? For example, E-82 went through a quick succession of 1968, 1971, and 1975 CF Macks. Is there a reliable way to tell which is which in old photos?

1968 cabs were not fully enclosed four door. The jump seats had enclosures but the deck between the cab and the pump panel was open.

1971 cabs were fully enclosed, four door. The jump seat doors extended down to the running board.

1975 cabs were also fully encloed, four door. The jump seat doors did not extend down to the running board. They stopped about 6 inches above the running board.

1968 cabs were not fully enclosed four door. The jump seats had enclosures but the deck between the cab and the pump panel was open.

1971 cabs were fully enclosed, four door. The jump seat doors extended down to the running board.

1975 cabs were also fully encloed, four door. The jump seat doors did not extend down to the running board. They stopped about 6 inches above the running board.
That's outstanding info. Thanks! I was trying to make sense of bell placement, front bumper, and Rapid Water or lack thereof, none of which seemed to be fully reliable spotting features.

Additionally, the 1968's had the curved hose, bed cover, 1969 had the flat hose bed cover, 1970 were first with the silver cab faces, 1971 were first four doors. 1972 had the large torpedo cab marker lights on the sides, 1975 cab marker lights were small pedestal mounts.

Thank you very much there "signal 73" for posting that picture.

Regarding the above photo, I think many of us more senior members on this site might remember a full page add featuring the above CF Mack photo in many fire department magazines at the time.
I think it was in 1978 and this rig was the 1,000th CF Mack produced and it was going in service in the FDNY as Engine Co 234.

It was one of my favorite pictures of those GREAT MACK CFs that were produced back then.

I don't think they had automatic transmissions, or any air conditioning at the time.
But they sure could do a great job pumping at fires.

What I recently learned about this photo is that the member standing on the far left, with one foot on the street and the other on the sidewalk, is my neighbor, now a Retired FDNY member, who I stop by to visit once in awhile.
We both sure do enjoy talking about the FDNY.

He got on the job in 1968 and attended the same 1968 FDNY Probie as members "68jk09", "Lt Q", and "jbendick".

Anyway, as the title of this topic says; "THE FDNY CF Mack: pure genius!"
From what I saw and heard, "I think there is a lot of TRUTH in that".

***Side Note*** - When I asked "signal73" to post this photo for me he said he was just getting home from work. So I told him "no rush".
Within a few minutes the picture got posted.
He then says:
"Priorities. Take the trash and recycling to the curb. Post the pic for Willy". LOL.
"signal73" certainly does a GREAT JOB on this site for so many of us.
THANK YOU Brad.

Last edited:

mack

Administrator
The picture of Engine 234 in front of their old quarters (and Rescue 2's prior quarters) was used in a Mack ad in Fire Engineering magazine. It celebrated the 1000th pumper places into service by FDNY:

e234 ad.jpg

A few better pictures:

E 234 FH.gif

234 part 2.gif

Additional Engine 234 pictures and history:

The picture of Engine 234 in front of their old quarters (and Rescue 2's prior quarters) was used in a Mack ad in Fire Engineering magazine. It celebrated the 1000th pumper places into service by FDNY:

View attachment 23244

A few better pictures:

View attachment 23245

View attachment 23246

Additional Engine 234 pictures and history:

Anyone know the identity of the firefighters in this picture?