The german guy asking some stuff ;)

I've created this thread to ask all of my questions in order as they come to my mind so I don't have to open a new thread for every new one.

My first question is:
Why did Squad Co.61 have a second deluge-gun on the roof of their old rig while all others had one?

BCR

What your seeing on the roof is the portable gun that can be set up in a street, yard,etc. all engines and squads carry one, squad 61 just happens to carry there's on the roof,

BCR said:
What your seeing on the roof is the portable gun that can be set up in a street, yard,etc. all engines and squads carry one, squad 61 just happens to carry there's on the roof,
It has a few names that it is referred to over the years ...some carryovers from previous models but generally called a Multiversal or Stang....most ENGs carry the portable one in a compartment but the Squad has so much equipment that they have it outside...actually they really do not need to even carry one themselves there are plenty available at any job & are rarely used.

Thank you guys for you help. Always good to have some experts around. :D

Moving on to the next question:

What about the 1996 HME/Saulsbury Heavy-Rescues?
I've heard that they weren't the best rigs and not very appreciated.
Why? (Because I personally like them ^^ )

They were all damaged or destroyed in the 9/11 twin-tower-collapses.
Which ones were rebuilt and until when did they serve?

There are some pictures around showing one of them with the "Hazmat-Lettering".
Was this a temporary replacement? Was Hazmat 1's original Rig destroyed in the attacks?

Why are there so few photos/videos around while other FDNY Vehicles of that era were photgraphed a thousand times?

Thanks in advance! :)

Edit: Another one: What happened to this rig? A crash?
http://www.capecodfd.com/Pics%20Macks/FT%20NY%20FDNY%20Old%20R2%20Mack%20wreck%201997.jpg

BCR

The problem with the HME/Salsbury rigs was the HME part. HME is a lower end manufacturer and there product does not hold up very well. The bodies were made by Salsbury and were a good product, the other main problem was there length, with the addition of the crew cab they were just to long and difficult to maneuver on the city streets. That's why they haven't had crew cabs on rescues since and all the firefighters ride back in the box. Rescue 1 and 2 were destroyed on 9/11 and ended up at fresh kills land fill with the rest of the rigs that did not make it, I think they were eventually broken up and scrapped. Rescues 3,4 and 5 returned to service for a short while after being decontaminated and repaired. When the 2001 e-one Salsbury rescues arrived they went to the spare pool, rescue 5 was modified to serve as a hazmat spare. 3 & 4 served as basicly back ups to the back ups after the 2002 American LaFrance rescue and the 2002 Mack/General Saftey Rescues arrived. Around the mid 2000's they started to be removed and decommissioned as they were in poor condition with rescue 5 being the last one on the books. They were all sold at auction, if memory serves me right rescue 3 had a few parts removed and used on rescues 4 and 5 before it was scrapped .. Rescues 4 and 5 were bought by a non profit and refurbished to the condition they were in when 9/11 happened, the group Remberence Rescue Project brings them around the country in memory of the members lost. Anyway I think that's what I remember happening to them. Check out Rememberence Rescue Projects website they have some photos of how the rigs look today