The Other War Years

I am a firefighter in North Providence RI. I grew up in the Providence Fire Dept. as I had 3 Uncles who were on the job and currently have 2 cousins currently serving. My Uncle Joe was on Engine 10 in the 1960's and saw South Providence go from a stable, blue collar neighborhood inhabited by mostly Irish with some Jewish and Armenian mixed in to a war zone in about 3 years. From 64 to 67. He talked of going to 5-6 building fires a night along with countless street boxes and car and trash fires. Providence got hit hard from the mid 60's through the late 90's. They still average 3-400 Code Reds a year but down from the 9-1000+ they used to get. Much of the city has been gentrified but they still get plenty of work. The switch to digital 800 dispatching has made that tough. All of their tower sites face inward toward the city making it difficult to monitor far away from the city. Still a proud job, unfortunately the city has reduced manpower on engines and ladders to staff EMS rescues. Engines 3,8,10,12,13,14 and Ladders 1,2,5,6 and Special Hazards have and officer and 3 FF and the rest have an officer and 2. Chiefs take an aide if manpower permits. The city currently runs 14 engines, 8 ladders, the hazards and 6 EMS rescues with a deputy and 2 BC's on each shift. they do around 45-50,000 total calls a year. Another RI city had similar war years in the 1970's. Central Falls is about 4 miles from Providence and it is 1.2 sq miles with a population of about 35,000. It rapidly changed in the 70's from a Polish, French Canadian and Irish city  with street after street of 4 story tenements to one populated with hispanics before it was fashionable outside NY/NJ/Ct. Colombian immigrants settled there making it the "Cocaine Capital" of the US as the Medillien Cartel used it as point 1 in distribution. CF firefighters battled many a blaze during this time single handedly. Many of them were either insurance jobs due to "white flight", recreational arson or drug violence.They run 9/10 man shifts manning 2 engines and a ladder. The third man off the ladder and Engine 1 man the EMS rescue which means they fight these blazes with 5 men some times. Real balls in FF's where officer and step charge in with a 1 3/4" line each. Most Northeast and Midwest industrial cities have had these types of years, fortunately for society it has gotten better. For buffs and firefighters it harkens back to a time where men gave 110% and did the job proud!!!

Thanks for the story !! When you say "EMS Rescue", do you mean Ambulance and/or Medic?

Yes they are ambulances. They originally started out as 2 man heavy rescues with all assorted equipment, but as funeral homes got out of the ambulance business in the 1960's they assumed ambulance/EMS duty with transportation. They originally had 3 and in 1988 2 more were added and 3 years ago a 6th was manned with OT until it was memorialized in the latest contract which made it official. Each bus does between 45-5500 runs per year. And mutual aid is called from surrounding communities often. Not uncommon to have as many as 7-8 busses from surrounding cities in Providence at any time. When I was assigned to Rescue 2 on my job, 2 times a shift, mutual aid to Providence was not uncommon.

Very well told there "Puffynpfd". And welcome aboard. You mentioned about Central Falls, R.I. My buddies from New Jersey who I would buff the Providence area with on occassions, actually introduced me to Central Falls. We made a visit to the firehouse and could not believe the fire potential of that city with such little manning. Apparently my buddies from N.J. had also heard of the reputation of Central Falls, so we all went to check it out.
  Thank you for describing The City of Providence so well. You mentioned Engine 10, and when I first started buffing Providence, I hung out near that station because they were just so busy. Besides Ladder 5, Engine 11 was also in that station. As I got to know the city better, I started hanging out at the Burger King on Broad St. That seemed to be a good location as Engine 3/Ladder 1 (Hqs), and Engine 8/Ladder 2 was also so busy, and was easy to reach from the Burger King. I still hang out in that neighborhood, but the digital radio system has cost me plenty of extra $$$ to be able to buff Providence. My own opinion, I am completely "Sold" on that entire area including your City of North Providence.
  Thank you for your Providence comments "Puffy". You must know a few of my friends (Ray Vernon, Rich Dessuo-Retired Providence F.D., "Porky"-Providence Canteen, Providence P.D., Ray Taylor and the "late" John Troll-Providence Citywide, and Chief Scanny-retired North Providence, now Norwich, Ct Chief of Dept). All some of the Greatest. (Sorry for getting off track here guys).

Thanks to "puffynpfd" and "nfd2004" for their info. into the Providence area. Bill I hope the new digital system ($$$$$) you had to purchase is working out all right.

Great report "puffy" of what it was like RI during that time period. Welcome!!

mikeindabronx said:
Thanks to "puffynpfd" and "nfd2004" for their info. into the Providence area. Bill I hope the new digital system ($$$$$) you had to purchase is working out all right.

The portable scanner worked out okay at a cost of about $500.00 (WOW). Then I had to get it programmed because its not easy for an Old Goat like myself to figure out this complicated thing. That was $50.00. Then in order to pick up the 800 band digital better I had to buy a mobile magnetic antenna for the car. That was about $83.00. All just to pick up Providence when I'm up there buffing. I'm sure glad the FDNY didn't go that way. (Mike I'll show you it next time we get together).
  As we talk about the old war years of other cities and those great buffing days, so were the days of the old crystal scanners and later those "Simple Programmable" scanners. But then again, in those days we didn't have web sites like this to talk about them. As the saying goes: "you can't live with them and you can't live without them".

nfd2004-I know all those guys! I'm Car 15 Providence Citywide... I've been on NPFD for 10 yrs. and vollyed at at Hope Jackson in Scituate for 10 yrs from 96-06, thats where I met John Troll and Rich Deuso. Rich and My father went to school together. My brother works in Central Falls, in fact he is working a 2 bagger right now, fully involved triple decker... I used to have a portable scanner and ride my bike to fires when I was a kid growing up in the North End... I always grilled my uncles for stories about the job and they planted the seed for me to be a firefighter. This weekend is going to be interesting, tons of vacants in Providence, Central Falls, Pawtucket, Woonsocket, West Warwick and we in NP have over 100 known vacant houses... In Providence the frequency of vacant building fires is increasing... As far as digital radios go, we are on the statewide 800 but simulcast on 154.250, it is my understanding that more depts. are looking to get in on it...

PuffyNPFD said:
nfd2004-I know all those guys! This weekend is going to be interesting, tons of vacants in Providence, Central Falls, Pawtucket, Woonsocket, West Warwick and we in NP have over 100 known vacant houses... In Providence the frequency of vacant building fires is increasing...

"Puffynpfd", it really is a small world. Those are all good guys you know. There's a lot of Great Guys on this site too. If you hang around long enough, you'll get to know them.
  You might want to check out "Oh those Busy Fourth of July's" in the "History" Section as you mentioned about this weekend (July 4, 2010) and the many vacant buildings. A few words there on Providence, and a few other cities.
  I'll be sending you a "PM" too so keep an eye open for that. I'll have to introduce you to the Group too. Some so old they remember which cut of hay the firehorses prefer, first or last cut. And how they brought in carrotts to give to their favorite fire horse.

When I was a kid and I lived in Bridgeport there was a Great Amusement Park called "Pleasure Beach Park". They had all the rides there that any kid would want. A Roller Coaster, Bumping Cars. There was an Arcade area, a beautiful beach, picnic area, and a long fishing pier. It was the place to be on a warm summer day. Alot of Bridgeport Firefighters would work there part time during the summer.
  Then in the mid sixties, trouble started moving into Pleasure Beach. There were robberies, muggings, assaults, etc. People started to stay away, and the entire park closed down. The buildings stood empty and as the Bridgeport War Years started, Pleasure Beach saw it's share of fires.
  In a few short years, what was one of Connecticut's Best Amusement Parks, was completely destroyed and burned out. Every single building or ride was destroyed. No more Roller Coaster, Bumping Cars, or Arcade. Even the ticket booth was burned out. It was like a ghost town with nothing but piles of burned lumber. There was nothing left but rubble. I remember when the Arcade burned, and then when the old wooden Roller Coaster burned. I just couldn't believe it.
  Today, Pleasure Beach sits as a weed covered island. Even the wooden bridge to get there was burned. No more pop corn or cotton candy. No more rides or Arcade. Sad, but in Bridgeport, even the Amusement Park wasn't spared the fires of the "Bridgeport War Years".

That is a shame .......there are so many areas in the U.S. that are designed for fun, but attract misfits that choose to destroy & create problems .........as they say.... "there are some who would burn stone if they could"......right now NYC is spending a lot re-developing CONEY ISLAND.....lets see how much of a safe fun place that turns out to be.....look at some of the crap that goes on after a big sporting event......make no sense.

The Providence Fire Dept reminded me a lot like the FDNY. They had several Mack CF Engine Cos, They had a Heavy Rescue called Special Hazards, which was a slightly smaller version of the Mack "R" Models of the FDNY. They even had four digit pull boxes similiar to what was in several areas of the FDNY. And it was a very agressive interior dept. They would fight fires from the inside out. Providence was big on that just lke the FDNY.
 Then maybe in the mid 80s, Providence bought their first two Tower Ladders. They were bought used, from the FDNY. I want to say it was FDNY TL14 and TL113, but I'm not sure. These rigs had seen some heavy action in the FDNY and I sure had my doubts that Providence had done the right thing. The rigs were parked outside the Shops in Providence.
 Shortly after those old beat up former FDNY Tower Ladders appeared on the streets of Providence. Looking like two brand new rigs. They went into service at Providence's Busiest Ladder Companies. Ladder 1 out of headquarters in the downtown area, and Ladder 2 in the West end where it had the nickname of "West End Express". The guys at the Providence Shops had done most of the work themselves to rehab these rigs. I believe Tower Ladder 1 was in service for about 5 years before becoming a reserve rig. But Tower Ladder 2 was in service for a very long time. And they sure saw plenty of work.
 What was Great for me was that when I buffed those Providence jobs, it was nice to hear the sound of those Heavy Hitting Mack CF 75' Tower Ladders purring like a kitten, as they were going to work in Providence. And watching them sweep the fire building sure reminded me of the FDNY action. Adding those FDNY Tower Ladders just gave me more reason to buff Providence. I was making the 50 mile trip to Providence about 20 times a year.

Providence got those 1972 Mack/Baker Tower Ladders in 1981. By 82 they were on the streets after extensive rehab by the shops. It ran as Ladder 1 until PFD received a 95' Mack/Baker Tower. Ladder 1's 72 was reassigned as Tower Ladder 7 running out of Branch Ave thus giving the city a tower in each of the 3 Battalions/Division in the city. It replaced a 1974 Maxim mid-mount which became a spare. It ran as TL-7 until 1991 when it was replaced by a 1983 Maxim 100' tiller which was Ladder 6 which in turn had been replaced by a 1991 E-One 110' rear mount. TL-2's rig ran until 1989 when it was replaced by 1989 Mack/Baker and the 72 ran as a reserve until 1999. TL-2 now operates 2007 Pierce 100' midmount tower and the 89 is a reserve. A side note about the 1986 95' Mack/Baker is that it was the first 95' tower produced by Baker. The truck was only in service for 11 years as in the fall of 1997 it's boom was extended in front of the old HQ on Empire St. and lost hydraulic pressure violently dropping its boom and seriously injuring 2 members. It returned as city service for a little while and never saw front line service again, being disposed of around 2000ish. It was replaced by a 1998 E-One 110' tower which is still running to this day. The city retired the last frontline Mack CF last year. Engine 8 was a 1991 Mack CF/Ranger and was one of the last to be produced. It is still a reserve and replaced by a 2009 E-One. I got to agree Willy, the sound of those Mack's coming into the block was distinctive. The CF was a real fire truck, and the city had quite a few of them. A lot better than the crap they are producing now.

Thanks Mack.  That  was a blast of air  in my face...lol  enjoyed the  single  axle  Tower ladders  those  were the days, I  will have to see  what  I have  for  old  pics  of  the PFD,,,  I know I have  a pic somewhere of  engine  10 the enclosed cab Taken  1989 or 1990 along with the hazards and I know I have  some  older pics  mid  80's  of  some of  Like  Ladder 5's truck  and more  lol

"Puffy", Thanks for the rundown on the Mack Tower Ladders in Providence. I remember when Ladder 7 ran with that Tower Ladder. At the time I just wasn't sure if it was running as a "Reserve" or actually being used as TL 7. Thanks Puff. And I do remember when that 95 foot bucket took a spill and those guys were hurt.
  And "Mack" those pictures are great of Providence. The center photo is the rehabbed Tower Ladder from FDNY. I'm not sure if it was Ladder 14 or Ladder 113. Thank you, they're some Great Pictures, and for me, some great memories.
  And "BFD389", going back to our younger days, I'm sure we spent some time in Providence together. In fact, I think if I look around, I still have the list that you and Zack printed up from a busy Fourth of July. Like 200 fire calls (rubbish, dumpsters, cars, and 8 of which Code Red Building fires) "plus" the steady flow of EMS calls, from maybe 9:30 PM to 1:00 AM. Jim, I mean "BFD389", we hung out at the Broad St Burger King.

Wake up, Willy D.  Any self-respecting Brooklyn buff can tell you that Ladder 113 never, ever, had a tower ladder.  LOL

johnd248 said:
Wake up, Willy D.  Any self-respecting Brooklyn buff can tell you that Ladder 113 never, ever, had a tower ladder.  LOL

Sorry John. Maybe it was TL 114 (?). I think I'm awake, just not sure. Or maybe a few of those cocktails are starting to catch up with me. Yes John, I'm a very sick man. Thanks anyway.
  And now that you mention it, Providence might have gotten FDNY's TL13, not 14. And TL114, not 113. How's that for confusing and messing things up.
  And on another post, you mention about a few Boston Accountants. "I liked that". Not bad !!!