The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

I went to the same elementary school as Bill Haley (but long afterward}. I got his autograph during a visit when I was fourth grade. It's long since been lost. My mother-in-law did a lot better. She and her sisters found Frank Sinatra smoking a cigarette leaning against a building in Midtown Manhattan in 1942. Darn if she doesn't still have his autograph!

JohnnyGage said:
Not so good on the Doo Wop testing, but put up some Cowsills, Partridge Family and Bobby Sherman...uggh, just kidding...but anyone into Bill Black Combo?...I have it as a favorite on my Sirius radio and have to crank it up when they come on, fun music...
Excellent choice Dan. Bill Black's combo put forth some good music. As you probably know, he was the bass player for Elvis at one time early on.

68jk09 said:
JERRY LAWSON 40 YR LEAD SINGER OF THE PERSUASIONS .....REST IN PEACE.... https://bestclassicbands.com/jerry-lawson-obituary-7-11-19/
They performed an excellent version of "Looking For An Echo" prior to Kenny Vance & The Planetones release around 1975. Rest In Peace Jerry and thanks for the memories.

Here's a few updated tunes by favorite artists of our time;
Mrs. Brown you have a lovely walker                                    Herman's Hermits
Fifty ways to lose your liver                                                Paul Simon
You're so varicose vein                                                        Carly Simon
How can you mend a broken hip                                          Bee Gees
The first time ever I forgot your face                                    Roberta Flack
I can't see clearly now                                                        Johnny Nash
Papa's got a kidney stone                                                  Temptations
These boots give me arthritis                                              Nancy Sinatra
Denture Queen                                                                  Abba
You make me feel like napping                                            Leo Sayer
Once, twice, three times to the bathroom                            Commodores
A whiter shade of hair                                                        Procol Harem
I get by with a little help from my Depends                          Beatles
Bad prune a-rising                                                              Creedence Clearwater Revival
I heard it through the Grape-Nuts                                        Gladys Knight & The Pips
You're so frail                                                                    The Fiestas
Since I don't have youth                                                    The Skyliners
Rescusitate Me                                                                  Fontella Bass
Where or when?????                                                          Dion & The Belmonts

Hi Gents, I need some assistance in a matter not FD related. I'm trying to locate an LP possibly on Kama Sutra records from the mid 60's up to 1970 supposedly recorded by an obscure Long Island group under the names of "Gathering Storm" or "December's Children." I have searched on the internet but have found nothing consequential as of yet. Long story short, my nephew's (NYPD) friend who recently passed away was in that group and his son is trying to locate a copy of the LP. I have no album title or anything further to go on here. I'll be trying Discogs next. If anyone has heard of either of these groups or by some wild stroke of luck has the LP buried under ten tons of basement relics please let me know. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance. Be well, be safe and God Bless.

P.S. Supposedly they were  "Vanilla Fudge" or "Rascals" sounding in their vocals.

MM, could this be it......                          https://www.ebay.com/itm/DECEMBERS-CHILDREN-Decembers-Children-LP-Euro-re-Rock-Pop/301671939998

Thanks FDCE but I think that's a west coast group with the same name. Also, none of the group members names on the rear cover match the name I'm looking for. I have so little info on this and all I'm getting was a group called December's Children OR Gathering Storm used to sing at Long Island clubs such as Action House in Island Park, etc. It was here, in 1969, they were approached about cutting an LP for Kama Sutra Records. The son has no album title, no song titles so playing super sleuth was delegated to me, if indeed an LP was actually recorded. Thanks again my friend for your response.

Hey Now...yesterday, after I dropped my wife off at the supermarket I was tuned-into my hi-fi radio in my ride, I was back in the 50's when this tune pops up, it's by Ernie K Doe and he is singin' about "A Certain Girl". When my chick came back to my ride I went from Bermuda Shorts and a Polo golf shirt to a white tee with a pack of Kool cigarettes rolled up, my hair greased back, a cig behind my ear and my garrison belt buckle on my rolled up blue jeans off to the side...then she switched back to soft rock channel and I was me again...Anyway, whats the girls name Ernie is singing about?...b'cause, I can't tell ya... 8)

Anybody remember this?  Gene Bua was a Brooklyn boy who was in my class at St. Ann's/Archbishop Molloy HS along with Ray Kelly (yes, THAT Ray Kelly).  We all thought he was nuts, but he had some success with this song, then went to Hollywood, where he had a relatively successful career in soaps, and ran the acting school that Brad Pitt went to . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07mTiZ1RDzA

genebua_01_3x4.jpg

mmm, I went to elementary school with John Bua who talked about his brother being a singer. However, this was St. Fidelis in College Point, Queens. The 1958 timeline fits in so I wonder if Gene lived in Brooklyn with relatives then or travelled to Molloy daily from CP?

Not Doo Wop but Eddie Money died today..... for a short time he had been NYPD in the 103PCT.

Last edited:
Back in 1956 a group called The Five Satins, with lead singer Freddie Paris (soon to be 84 years old) first sang this song at St Bernadette's Church in New Haven, Ct.

About 60 years later they got together at that church again to sing that song for an upcoming PBS Show.

Here is their famous hit called: "In the Still of the Night".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFzmP6Xnxs8

Last edited:
And in the church basement was where the song was recorded for the master tape. One of the "Satins" was unable to attend the session so the sax was played by a church member Vinnie Mazzetta. Ironically, "In The Still Of The Nite" was to be released as the "B" side with "The Jones Girl" as the plug "A" side.