The Ventures/Days of Doo Wop

nfd2004 said:
68jk09 said:
FYI ......Public Broadcasting System  (PBS) which here in NYC is shown on WNET Channel 13 (but is shown on different channels depending on the locale) is offering a new show "Doo Wop Love Songs"....it aired earlier today & was very  good.....it is on again much later tonight which actually will be Sunday 8-19-12 from 4 am to 6 am & again Sun evening from 11pm to 1 am Mon....set your DVR .

Thanks Chief for that info. I'm hoping that they will come out with a DVD of it because I won't be able to watch it, and I don't have a DVR. (I certainly need to get one and learn how to use it). I may just be able to catch the very end of it Sunday (8/19) evening. This is some Great Music.

G-man, is that show that you did with Cousin Brucie out on DVD ?
Not sure if the Cousin Brucie show is on DVD but I've seen parts of it where I'm performing on youtube.

GMan, give us a youtube link! I've been listening all morning trying to find your smiling face!

Music you could understand and appreciate. Graduated HS in 66, madras print was the thing. Stones, Beatles, DC5, Animals, Kinks were good but #1 were the Beach Boys and also Jan and Dean. Went to Cape Cod summer of 66, lots of good times before Uncle Sam said he loved me. Beleive me, the summer of 66 was great to me, a summer of relaxation before I entered Sam's service. Those were the best times of my life.

And I'll bet Uncle Sam told you he'd still respect you in the morning, too . . . right, Grump? 8) 8)

'San Francisco' Singer Scott McKenzie Dies
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES?Singer Scott McKenzie, who performed "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)"?which became a hit in 1967 during the city's "Summer of Love"?has died.

Associated Press

A statement on Mr. McKenzie's website said the 73-year-old died on Saturday in Los Angeles. Mr. McKenzie battled Guillain?Barr? syndrome, a disease that affects the nervous system, and had been in and out of the hospital since 2010.

"San Francisco" was written by John Phillips, the leader of the 1960s group The Mamas and the Papas. But Mr. McKenzie was the one who sang it, and it has stood as an anthem for the 1960s counterculture movement.

Mr. McKenzie also co-wrote "Kokomo," a No. 1 hit for The Beach Boys in 1988, and toured with The Mamas and the Papas in the 1990s.
..................................................................    ................................................................    ........................................................
I was never a hippie or a supporter of their ideas but this song back in '67/'68 had another meaning to those of us in Vietnam....arriving in San Fran meant you had arrived back in the USA............. we did not have flowers in our hair but we were happy......also Continued RIP to all those who did not make it back on their feet.

Scott McKenzie - San Francisco

So many of the singers during that time are starting to go now. Johnny Mastro, the Rightous Brother (I believe both are gone). Many, many others.

We still have many left and some still put on shows. They sang about what it was like to leave for the military. Bobby Vinton with "Lonely Soldier". The Shirelles with "Soldier Boy". There was a song called "Green Beret" and fighting men. Tony Orlando and Dawn did a song called "Tie a Yellow Ribbon around the Old Oak Tree" and how a soldier returned to find 100 yellow ribbons around the old oak tree. We had Great Songs.

Dion and the Belmonts sang about a girl named Sue called "Run Around Sue" (see note below). Paul Anka sang about a girl named "Diana" simply called "Diana".

The ladies loved Tom Jones, Englebert Humperdink, Barry White, and Barry Manilow.

There were Great Soul Groups. The Spinners, The O'Jays, The Temptations.

The Girl Groups...The Angels, The Marvellettes, The Supremes, The Chiffons,  The Be My Baby Girls..The Ronettes.

And finally about that note above. "Mikeindabronx" sure did his best to try and date that Bronx girl that Dion and the Belmonts sang about. Her name was Sue and Mike spent many dollars on those Webster Ave, "White Castle Bugers" trying to win that Runaround Sue over. She never gave him a second look. So the next best thing was that Mike decided to ride with those Harlem Hilton Companies and thats when he started taking those Great Fireground photographs ( www.fdnysbravest.com ). But we owe it all to that girl called "Runaround Sue". If she hadn't told him to "take a walk," we might not have gotten those Great photos. And by the way, the guy Sue really wanted was some guy named Willy, who chased fires in the Bronx.

I'm so glad that I've been able play behind most of them. I am currently one of the on-call musicians for Shirley Alston-Reeves lead singer of the Shirelles, Frankie Lymon's Teenagers, and Charlie Thomas' Drifters. I have played for The Channels, Dubs, Platters, Lenny Cocco & the Chimes, Vito Piccone & the Elegants, Jarmels, DelVikings, Passions, Duprees, Skyliners, Fleetwoods, Vito & the Salutations, Cleftones, Harptones, Eugene Pitt & the Jive Five, Cadillacs, Tokens, Eternals, Heartbeats, Marvelletes, Chiffons, Shangrilas, Cookies, Dixie Cups, Toys, Orlons, Crystals, Bobbettes, Lesley Gore and many more. I also played for Luther Vandross, Harold Melvin's Blue Notes, Chic, the Trammps and many more.

GMan, I know one or more in each grp you mentionrd.. Small world
A little trivia for you.
What was the name of the female singer in the Original Crests  ??
A hint    she was the sister of one of the people in you're post

G-Man.......that is truly some impressive list & quite an accomplishment on your part......a good friend of mine who is OTJ is married to a cousin of Gloria Gaynor & she traveled w/her in the past.........last Sat night there was a Bridal shower (women only) for a friend of ours it was held down on Varick St in Manhattan & in the main room Ronnie Spector was onstage  performing.             

68jk09 said:
G-Man.......that is truly some impressive list & quite an accomplishment on your part......a good friend of mine who is OTJ is married to a cousin of Gloria Gaynor & she traveled w/her in the past.........last Sat night there was a Bridal shower (women only) for a friend of ours it was held down on Varick St in Manhattan & in the main room Ronnie Spector was onstage  performing.           
Cool, I know Gloria Gaynor's bandleader very well. The last time I worked with Ronnie Spector was up at a college in Waterbury, Ct. The first time was an outdoor waterfront musicfest in Yonkers. That's where I connected with one of my idols, Felix Cavalierre of the Rascals. The funny thing was Felix saw me first and thought I was someone as famous as him (we both wore the same hat that day). He invited me to spend the afternoon in his Winnebago and we talked about the "real" history of Rock n' Roll. The Channels were on every year for the "Royal DooWop Show" at Radio City Music Hall. Sue Simmons from CH-4 News was a big fan and came out with a news crew to see the group. Another year I met Paul imon who was there to recruit DooWop singers for an album with Carrie Fisher hanging on to him all night.

guitarman314 said:
Luther Vandross' older sister.

Bingo !!  His sister Patti was in the original grp and her parents would not let her go on the road as she was too young,so she had to leave the grp.

Great to get away from who is first due, I res'pect the job. But we need to get away to save our sanity. Many members have shown their interest in music. Many members have posted on this subject 1962 I was a freshman in hs. 1966 The Stones, greatest rock and roll band ever. But I will always like the Ventures, 'greatest drum solo" Keith Richards guitar rift on "Last Time" and the Stones first 5 chords on Satisfaction. Guitarman314, well you are the best of the best, music, scale models, kitbashing you answer all questions and provide help to those who want to improve their collection. You are a fantastic individual, I appreciate your knowledge with all members on this site.

grumpy grizzly said:
Guitarman314, well you are the best of the best, music, scale models, kitbashing you answer all questions and provide help to those who want to improve their collection. You are a fantastic individual, I appreciate your knowledge with all members on this site.

I agree GG. Many of us on here know G-man. he is a true Gentleman. Got some Great models, Certainly knows the history of the FDNY, and of course many now learn of his music background. He is another one of those NYCFIRE.Net Great One's.

Some nice music & some classic cars.....Thanks to Woodhaven man..............                                                                                                  Best of Times

For a few more of those Great Memories go to www.oldfortyfives.com . You can skip the intro if you want, go down the page and click on one of the banners ("Take me back to the 50s", "Do you Remember These" etc).