The War Years

Much has been written about the War Years on this site. Just came across some pictures, on Dan Alfonso's site, of those years taken by Joe Higgins, retired Deputy Director of Communications.

Last edited by a moderator:
i always say im glad i wasnt born during the war years as i was born in 1981(and i didnt start taking pictures untill 2006) but i always wish a time machine to be invented just to go back in those days not just for fires and take old fdny rig shots but just to actually see how it felt living in those time.Butt  then again i dont and the fires of today are wimpy compare back to those days.

Great photos !! Also like the ones with the Police in the pictures wearing the old "choker" uniforms.

Good find on the photos. Adds great visual to all your stories for some of us who were to younge or not born to experience it first hand. Thank you

A little late but those are some great photo's. Anyone have any suggestions on finding more from that era?? Thanks !!

Bxboro:

Try this link.  http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYLinks/FDNYLinks.htm

The FDNY Firehouse links at the top left will get you to several company/house websites, one of which "mack" linked above.  The one site that is now under re-construction is the Animal House (E75/L33/B19).  They had several albums of photos titled "The War Years", but you can't navigate to them currently. :(