Tiller 6 Manhattan CHINA TOWN

Does any one know why Ladder 6 started off as a tiller then went to a stick and then back to a tiller?

The single rear axle rearmount could negotiate the tight street of their area but the tandem rear axle rearmount couldn't.

A good friend of mine was the CAPT of LAD*6 years ago.....he wanted the Unit to "travel " to other areas of the City to gain experience in different kinds of bldgs.....he requested a Rear Mount to allow for relocations to other areas.....in 1998 when LAD*133 was being formed the JOB wanted to assign them a RM but did not have any new or decent ones available ......the then CAPT. of 6 offered their RM in exchange for a Tiller back.

I dont think that the CAPT who got the Tiller back was trying to avoid relocations ....i believe he just (as i would) wanted to have the most versatile (& classic) piece of FF Equip.....yes i am partial to Tiller Rigs.....had 4 different ones as a FF/Truck Chauf........PS ......i am sure everybody read about the CAPT. & his CREW on 9-11.

68jk09 said:
........PS ......i am sure everybody read about the CAPT. & his CREW on 9-11.

Thanks Chief, I sure remember that crew of Ladder 6 during the WTC. It was Capt. Jonash (spelling ?) and how he and his crew carried a handicaped civilian in a wheel chair down the many flights of stairs. I think the Tower they were in had come down. They were trapped in there with her for several hours.
  And as I also remember, the woman told the members just to go and leave her. Being in a wheel chair she just figured she was trapped. Of course the FDNY members did NOT leave her there. They took turns carrying her down the many flights of stairs. In the end, they were located all together under a huge pile of debrie and were okay.
  Thanks Chief for filling in the blanks. It was a Great Job, a Great Rescue, and a Great Crew. I sure remember their story. I'm guessing that Capt J is now retired ????

This rescue was shown on a cable channel, I think it was Discovery. At the end of the video 6 Truck gave her a jacket. The video is fantastic, it depicts how difficult a rescue it was.  :) :) :) :)