TODAY AT CHANGE OF TOURS IN 1978...NEVER FORGET !

Awhile ago but sometime like yesterday....CONTINUED RIP TO THE SIX BROTHERS...........TRUSS ROOFS IF YOU DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THEM THEN LEARN ABOUT THEM.

At the time i was working a Soda Truck Route, that Waldbaum's was one of our stops. We heard about the Fire on the News Radio, before Those Brave Souls were reported Lost, and decided we'd have to pass-by later on to see how bad the store was.
Of Course, during the day, as we made our stops in Brighton Beach and Coney Isl., we heard the tragedy unfold. Later, when we stopped to examine the wreckage, a FDNY friend showed me the hole
cut into the wall (by Both FDNY & NYPD-ESU), where The Fallen were removed.
I stared at that hole for moments, shocked indeed, into stunned 'Silence'.
I, We, Shall Never Forget. God Bless The Fallen, and, Their Families, (Who Also Serve).
Rest In Peace.

May they all Rest In Peace! Not just from this incident, but all who made the Supreme Sacrifice! You will not be forgotten!

There are some incidents which have occurred within the FDNY that I will never forget. Incidents such as the Fathers Day Fire, the rope rescue in Washington Heights, the Happy Land Social Club fire, and the day America was attacked. In these and other incidents, I remember where I was, and when I heard of it. They will always stay in my mind.

When I heard of this tragic Walbaums Fire I was riding in my car listening to a NY radio station. I was on my way to visit a local friend of mine who was also a buff. We couldn't believe what had happened. I will also remember this as it was the first FDNY funeral for LODDs that I had ever attended. I would find out that because of the dangers the FDNY members face, it wouldn't be my last.

May they Rest in Peace. And they have NOT been Forgotten.

I was not yet on the job when this tragedy occurred, I responded as an EMT. I'll never forget how hard the Brothers worked to aid all who were injured as well as to attempt to locate those who were missing. Even though we treated and transported survivors, I really felt helpless as the realization set in that a number of the Brothers had made the supreme sacrifice that morning.

mack

Administrator
A heartbreaking tragedy.  Seems like a few days ago.  I still think of the the O'Connor family watching their father climbing to the roof - and then he was gone.  RIP to all lost.  Never forget.

mack said:
A heartbreaking tragedy.  Seems like a few days ago.  I still think of the the O'Connor family watching their father climbing to the roof - and then he was gone.  RIP to all lost.  Never forget.

Sad indeed. I remember the news saying that one firefighter had just waved to his daughter (?) from the roof as she watched. I believe his wife had just dropped him off at the firehouse to start the day tour.

I'm very sure on this site that we all have a high regard for firefighters whether FDNY or other depts. But I also think it takes a very special breed of people to be the spouse of a firefighter (or police, or military member). There are no promises that they will return home safely. I don't know how they do it. I know I couldn't do it. I'd be awake all night worrying.

My mother (Rest in Peace) had a husband and two sons that were firefighters all at the same time. She hated that, except she knew how much we all liked doing the job. As a kid walking home from school, I remember seeing my father pull up in a ladder truck and go to the roof of a building fire. He climbed the ladder and went to the roof. He gave me a big wave from that roof. I told everybody there watching "that's my father". I was sure proud of him. I ran home to tell my mother that I saw him on the roof of that burning building. She didn't seem to be as happy as I was about it. Now I know why. Many others on here have had similiar situtations. Some firefighters, some military, some police officers.

And there's others. Utility workers, construction workers. All very dangerous jobs, just to put food on the table and pay the bills.

I was lucky that day. I got to see my father climb down that aerial ladder. When he got down he shook my hand and said he had to go back and clean up, and he'll be home for supper soon. I was about 10 years old when that happened. What would I have done without him ?