Tower Fires

We all know there was a serious fire at the Trump Tower in Manhattan on Saturday 4/7/18. Well on Sunday 4/8/18 there was a fire at the Dennis Tower in Connecticut. It was a 10-75 all hands for a dryer fire in the bsmt. Fortunately Willie D was home and he quickly employed all his hands and his fire fighting skills and unplugged and removed the burning electric dryer from the bldg to the yard and extinguished the fire. There was no extension to the bldg other than some smoke and the only injury was to Willie's pride. Willie reports he hadn't used the dryer in some time so maybe there was some dust and lint build up. We will have to schedule Willie for a home fire safety class.

Yes Friends, I'm embarrassed to say but: TRUE Story that Frank D., aka "fdce54" reports, except the dryer was on the number 1 floor.

I hadn't run that clothes dryer in a long time. But I guess for me all those years of buffing paid off. We quickly put all hands to work. All two of them and removed that burning cloths dryer to the outside. Fortunately that dryer is right near a sliding glass door so that made it much easier to get out.

There was no damage to the cloths in the dryer or any damage to the building EXCEPT for some smoke.

The size up of this building is a 2 frame 20 x 40 duplex. The All Hands was transmitted around 23:00 hours and under control in about 10 minutes.

Willie,

Very glad to hear that you and your home are OK. 

Two questions: 
1.  Has the Department of Health completed its inspection of your stockpile of McD's burgers, fries and shakes like they would at any restaurant fire here in the City?

2.  Will you be including this incident in the April stats?

Kidding aside, Bill, we're all glad that it was a fairly minor incident and that you're OK.

You're lucky, Bill.  This could have been you . . .

Attachments

• Willy Dd.jpg
    Willy Dd.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 197
Bill,

If there's something very seriously positive to come out of this, I checked my extinguishers today because of your experience and saw that they're expired.  I'd suggest everyone else check theirs and everyone spread the word to family, friends and neighbors and give the credit to Bill D!

manhattan said:
Bill,

If there's something very seriously positive to come out of this, I checked my extinguishers today because of your experience and saw that they're expired.  I'd suggest everyone else check theirs and everyone spread the word to family, friends and neighbors and give the credit to Bill D!

Yes Frank "manhattan", there is something to learn here. It can happen to any one of us. I've never had any fire in my house before.

Here's a few points that I would like to mention.

1) Just a few weeks earlier I had changed the batteries in my two smoke detectors - and they WORKED. If I had been upstairs at the time, the first floor detector would have alerted me to this.

2) I did NOT leave the house while this dryer was running. In fact, I didn't even go upstairs because I hadn't run it in a very long time.

3) I was very fortunate in the fact that this dryer sat right next to my large sliding back door so I didn't have far to move it to get it out. But if this had been in the basement or somewhere much farther away from that door, I might have been in some serious trouble.

4) I always carry my cell phone with me. I certainly could have called the fire department. As a retired firefighter, that's what we would ALWAYS tell the people and THEY SHOULD. But I also knew that if I could get this dryer out of the house quickly, there would be no fire damage to the building. In my case, I live in a rural area and it's a distance for the fire dept to travel.

Except for the fact that I need to buy a new dryer, "it all worked out". But there were a few things in my favor that might NOT be if this were to happen to someone else. Today as I write this, I'm just very thankful to be in my nice home and nobody got hurt.

Glad that you are OK.

The other reason to call the fire department is to notify the Fire Marshal.  An unreported fire does not get into the statistics.  If the appliance was defective or subject to a recall, the fire marshal has access to that information.  Imagine if ten other people with the same appliance also have a problem.  With no reports, a dangerous trend could be developing.  The Fire Marshal has access to the 'big' picture and the resources to get Consumer Product Safety involved if necessary.

I should also add that this dryer was very old. I'm guessing maybe 20 or 25 years old. It had proven itself over all those years. I might have replaced the belt once (?), a long time ago.

Bill,

Age - your's or the dryer's - doesn't really matter.  As long as you and your home came out of it all right.  Oh, yeah - and the McD burgers as well!  And smart move to always keep the cell phone with you.  That itself can be a life-saver that a lot of people wouldn't think about.