Tower Ladders in the Bronx

With all of the taxpayer fires etc in da' Bronx recently, especially in the 27 and 15 Battalions, I thought that another tower ladder, say a 95' rig somewhere in the Fordham, Bedford Park areas would prove useful.  With 33 Truck frequently heading to 204th Street and places like Perry Avenue, and with 32,37, 38, 52, 56, 27 and 39 being straight aerials, there is really only 46 Truck, and 51 Truck serving a very large area.  So the question is: Would you do it?  Which company would it be? Why?

I've been hearing for while some talk that a South Bronx truck was going to be relocated to E97. ???

Ladder 61 should never leave coop city! They already operate alone for a long period of time when the have a job, and they protect a tremendous amount of people in there first due area!

guitarman314 said:
I've been hearing for while some talk that a South Bronx truck was going to be relocated to E97. ???
That's been rumored for at least 15 years.

Either 32 or 56. Both on wide streets for ease of entry and exit from the firehouse.

G-man, remember when Ladder 29 WAS a Tower Ladder. (I saw it at plenty of jobs back in the day. I'm sure you did too). But I think I read somewhere on here that they got the R.M. because the weight was too heavy to cross one of the bridges. (Right ! )

nfd2004 said:
G-man, remember when Ladder 29 WAS a Tower Ladder. (I saw it at plenty of jobs back in the day. I'm sure you did too). But I think I read somewhere on here that they got the R.M. because the weight was too heavy to cross one of the bridges. (Right ! )
I don't think so, After L53 was disbanded they needed a tower ladder on the 1st alarm into City Island and L50 was 2nd due at that time. Since there were more than enough tower ladders (17, 31, 44) in or near the South Bronx with TL14 just over the Willis Ave. bridge it made sense.  

guitarman314 said:
nfd2004 said:
I don't think so, After L53 was disbanded they needed a tower ladder on the 1st alarm into City Island and L50 was 2nd due at that time. Since there were more than enough tower ladders (17, 31, 44) in or near the South Bronx with TL14 just over the Willis Ave. bridge it made sense.  

L29 and L50 switched rigs because of weight restrictions on the bridge to Wards Island.

guitarman314 said:
nfd2004 said:

E85 was closed around '86 to form TL53. L29 and L50 swapped rigs after that.

Reply # 11 is correct 29 & 50 swapped because of the resrictions on the old bridge.

Info on the subject from SrBxBoss from "fdnyrant".......QUOTE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back when I was a Lieutenant in E.35, there was a bridge just past the current entrance to The Rock that went over to Wards Island. This is the same bridge that was the road block at the end of the movie The French Connection. Due to weight restrictions, TL's were not alllowed to cross over. The first 2 trucks thus were L.26 and L.43, and 4 engines on the box, and E.35 (2nd due) was to act as a truck until help arrived. It was interesting to see who would show up when 26 & 43 were not available. Subsequently L.29 and L.50 swapped rigs to end the problem. The bridge as we all know is gone now and and a road was built to Wards Island, which I guess really isn't an island anymore. ......UNQUOTE.

This aerial photo is from 1951, much of what was Randall's and Ward's Island has been filled in, including the waterway known as Little Hell Gate that separated the two. The waterway was crossed by three bridges: The Queens branch of the Triborough Bridge, the Hell Gate railroad bridge (both of which crossed both islands at a high level), and the low-level roadway that connected the two islands (with the weight restrictions).

The narrow waterway separating Randall's Island and the Bronx mainland is known as Bronx Kill.

littlehellgate1951.png

Thanks Chief, "Info on the subject from SrBxBoss from "fdnyrant". I remember "The Prince" posting that info but could not find it.

61 shouldn't leave Co Op City?? I beg to differ. The only time 61 should be somewhat restricted is the holidays. It's a pain in the neck to get in and out of the area.

As far as a tower ladder up north, I agree with the opinion that it isn't too hard to get 33,41,46,or 58 up there. I too, would like to see a bucket in with 97, or at least a truck. It's a pretty big area left uncovered, and it can be a haul for 41, and other trucks in the area to get up there.