UNIDEN SDS100

Is anyone currently using the latest Bearcat handheld -- Uniden SDS100, and can you share your experience with it as far as sensitivity, selectivity, clarity? Pluses and negtives?

I have programmed a few SDS100's. I myself own the sister radio, the SDS200 and I love it. It works great for simulcast phase 2 trunking systems. Sensitivity is good on all bands.

I love the fact you can record all transmissions or use the instant recall feature. Unfortunately you can't do both at the same time. I will set the radio to record then play it back when I have a chance. helps to identify new frequencies and talkgroups for trunking systems. On the other hand the instant recall feature is very helpful in case you miss an address or a size up.

It is a bit pricey but it is the latest technology. It will decode P25. It will also do DMR, Nexedge and Provoice digital formats for additional fees.

You can also do custom programming or use can use the database search. You plug in your zip code and it unlocks everything in that area and scans it.

If anyone has an specific questions I can try to answer them for you.

Due to poor scanning speed, reception issues and the fact I had to have it repaired due to heat issues, I ended up buying a 325p2.

Best radio I have ever owned. And I have been listening to fire radio traffic for 56 years. The size makes it a bit difficult to perform functions quickly, but that is an acceptable trade off. The larger SDS 200 may be easier for rapid functioning, but it is not portable.

I got a great deal from HRO---I think it stands for Ham Radio Operators (or something) they only have a few stores, but they are spread geographically throughout the county. Less than $600 and free shipping. Be sure you get the newer version with the extra built in battery for great battery life. For those of you younger and smarter, yon can relay customize the unit to meet your needs

I got a great deal from HRO---I think it stands for Ham Radio Operators (or something) they only have a few stores, but they are spread geographically throughout the county. Less than $600 and free shipping. Be sure you get the newer version with the extra built in battery for great battery life. For those of you younger and smarter, yon can relay customize the unit to meet your needs
under $600 is a steal!

HRO stands for Ham Radio Outlet i would like to know more about others experience with the SDS100 especially the programming aspect...i googled some "you tubes" but they look confusing

HRO stands for Ham Radio Outlet i would like to know more about others experience with the SDS100 especially the programming aspect...i googled some "you tubes" but they look confusing
Programming isn't too too bad. These aren't like your old school scanners where you'd have x amount of banks of 16 channels. With the new SDS scanners you can have 1 to 100 channels or more in a bank. Also banks aren't called banks any more. They have what are called favorites lists. Then inside the favorites lists you have what they call systems. Then inside a system you can have groups. Groups are what you would call a bank in an older scanner. Confused yet? lol

So I am in Massachusetts. for an example. I have a favorites list called Mass Fire. Inside that favorites list I have systems that have every fire dept in the state listed. They are labeled East Mass Fire, West Mass Fire, Central Mass Fire and South Mass Fire. Then for groups inside the systems I have it broken down by fire district. For example inside the Central Mass Fire system I have groups labeled for Fire District 7, Fire District 8 and Fire District 14. It helps me to group things geographically that way.

I used the supplied uniden sentinel software. The software resembles a spreadsheet type look. I can attach a screen shot after work today.

Depending on how much you have programmed in the scanner relates to how easy or not it is to operate. I have my scanners loaded up with everything. I need a cheat sheet to know what banks are what.

The SDS can be very difficult to program. Then again you have the option just to plug in your zip code and you are monitoring the radio in 8 seconds

I highly apologize to all members in this group. If a curse word was used it must have been a issue with word spelling. I never once cursed in this group and would never do it intentionally.
THANKS FOR KEYRING ME KNOW AND DELETING IT

Any further info on the Uniden SDS 100 handheld ?..... programming ...reliability ...difficulties....decent price or distributor ....availability etc.......any info or feedback is welcomed....Thanks in advance .

Any further info on the Uniden SDS 100 handheld ?..... programming ...reliability ...difficulties....decent price or distributor ....availability etc.......any info or feedback is welcomed....Thanks in advance .
I have a new portable scanner that I am willing to part with. Too complicated for me! scans 800mhz.

Located on the South shore of Staten Island I find that it is great for digital systems like the NJICS, which covers Newark and Elizabeth, but provides poor reception with alot of static for FDNY Staten Island.

I have programmed a few SDS100's. I myself own the sister radio, the SDS200 and I love it. It works great for simulcast phase 2 trunking systems. Sensitivity is good on all bands.

I love the fact you can record all transmissions or use the instant recall feature. Unfortunately you can't do both at the same time. I will set the radio to record then play it back when I have a chance. helps to identify new frequencies and talkgroups for trunking systems. On the other hand the instant recall feature is very helpful in case you miss an address or a size up.

It is a bit pricey but it is the latest technology. It will decode P25. It will also do DMR, Nexedge and Provoice digital formats for additional fees.

You can also do custom programming or use can use the database search. You plug in your zip code and it unlocks everything in that area and scans it.

If anyone has an specific questions I can try to answer them for you.
WHAT SYSTEM ARE THE DIVISIONS USING NOW, 8 15 etc? I KNOW THERE WAS A CHANGE BACK ON JUNE 30, I BELIEVE. I NEED TO RE-PROGRAM MY SD-100. THE NEW P-25 PHASE 2 BREAKDOWN IS NOW ON MY UNIT(from RadioRefence). THE ONLY FD RELATED ITEM IS "HOSPITAL NOTIFICATIONS", WHICH SO FAR HAS NO TRANSMISSIONS. Thanks.

Located on the South shore of Staten Island I find that it is great for digital systems like the NJICS, which covers Newark and Elizabeth, but provides poor reception with alot of static for FDNY Staten Island.
So are you saying that you are on SI but it does not receive SI FDNY well ?

So are you saying that you are on SI but it does not receive SI FDNY well ?
Correct. I can understand the transmissions but there is alot of static. This is a well known issue, that this radio is excellent for digital but can be problematic for UHF. Apparantly they haven't perfected a radio that receives both types of transmission equally well.