Unnecessary radio messages

M

mmattyphoto

If the FDNY dispatchers sounded like every other dept. no would listen. just imagine if disp 330 now 126 talked in signals only.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I am studying for LT, and have to say trying to remember all the 10-Codes and the sub codes is a real pain.  KISS.  Keep it Simple.

the point of 10-codes is to make comms faster.  "Ladder ? you are the FAST Truck" and "Ladder ? you are 10-XX" take up the same amount of time

We tell companies to monitor, simply because a lot of the time, they don't.

Unnecessary radio traffic?? Come on...

FAST Truck is as simple as you can get it. No need to make it a 10-code.

We have an inhouse code for notifying other agencies.

As far as, "did you get your run??" or "are you responding??" that's just complacency taking over, instead of doing it the proper way.
"Attention, Engine XXX, Respond, (insert borough here) Telephone Alarm, Box 4652, Walk and Don't Walk for a fire in a private dwelling. Engine XXX, acknowledge."

Until you have been on a platform, and dealt with what we have had to deal with on a consistent basis. You don't know what is, or what isn't "unnecessary".

FDNY150 said:
We tell companies to monitor, simply because a lot of the time, they don't.

After the first few officers got hooked up for missing a run they would be soon cured of this neglect.

When we were on the bells there were no acknowledgements and  the companies could be relied upon to be where they were supposed to be and do what was expected of them (i.e., respond).  You did not want to be in quarters when a broiling B.C. rolled up and demanded to know why you were in quarters and not at that last box!

Soon after the advent of the "voice-alarm" we started asking for "10-4's" from each responding unit.  That was the turning point at which dispatchers became nursemaids charged with seeing that everyone else did their duty.

Maybe the real turning point was the strike.  Never saw much gung-ho after that.  Now, for many, (and I know not for all) it's just another union job, like san-man or electrician.  Serve your time, do as little as possible, collect your pay, and get out.  'nuff said.

and that is the wrong way to look at it. I have wanted to be a f.f. all my life and i am also a fire buff and i love doing everything i can. its not about the money for me cause i would do the job for free

CFD123, this is really to explain to you how most firefighters are. Most love their job and wouldn"t trade it for anything. Although some guys won"t readily admit it. Some are even what I call "Closet Buffs". They got the scanners, get the fire magazines delievered etc. BUT, it is a job. For so much work, so much pay. Cities would like to make street sweepers out of you if they could. Its usually a battle to get anything, even if its to give the public better protection. Over a period of time, you begin to realize that you may NOT be appreciated as you once thought you would be. As much as you looked forward to walking into that firehouse on your first day as a Probie, sometimes you also look forward to walking out when your career is over. I loved the job and I loved the guys I worked with. It gave me all the basic necessities I needed for my wife and I. Nobody wanted it more than I did. But along the way, there were some battles where we had to always defend our jobs.

i understand that completly and i have gone along on thousands of runs also but no matter what the call i love getting  on those rigs and nothing will stop that

V

vc1409

Here's a concept, it's called plain text. Everything in the open. ie "E33 1098/1019"(assigment complete,returning to quarters" is "E33 in service" E33 108(responding) is E33 enoute.

I don't see us going to clear text anytime soon. It may be a thought that's time has come, but I dunno if the communications higher ups have an interest in it.