US and Canada border fire departments

I was recently in Niagara Falls, Ontario, a car fire was on the Rainbow Bridge, a engine was on the USA side but the Border patrol would not allow them onto the bridge to extinguish the fire. Does anyone know what the, or if there is a protocol on USA/Canada mutual aide?

I have heard of places with mutual aid across the border. In Quebec and its bordering states. I have also heard of departments that have members passport info and things like that at the border so they can be streamlined for these cases. Maybe it was a new border guard going by the book a little too much.

Maybe the right thing was done in this case.  You know those Canadians ? they?re the reason we need immigration laws in this country. They look like us, they speak our language (more or less) and it's easier for them to infiltrate, remain illegally and take good jobs, McDonald?s fries and shakes, and real beer from Americans.  On top of that we?d be dealing with not just Canadians, but Canadian firemen and you can guess what that would be like..  Almost as bad as Connecticut types.  Oh, the horror of it all!!!  Lock your doors and protect your wives, daughters and sheep!!

baileyjeff said:
I was recently in Niagara Falls, Ontario, a car fire was on the Rainbow Bridge, a engine was on the USA side but the Border patrol would not allow them onto the bridge to extinguish the fire. Does anyone know what the, or if there is a protocol on USA/Canada mutual aide?
The northernmost counties of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine have cross border mutual aid pacts with the southernmost counties of Quebec.  But in your example it's Ontario . . . . .

Bulldog

Bulldog
fdhistorian said:
The northernmost counties of New York, Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine have cross border mutual aid pacts with the southernmost counties of Quebec.  But in your example it's Ontario . . . . .
That's very true and for those departments border crossings are a wave through.  Equipment just slows down when going through the border crossings.  I believe firefighters in their POVs have to stop but even then it's just a cursory crossing.  Both of those areas are rural however and probably don't get as much scrutiny as something so prominent as the rainbow bridge!  In addition for those departments the mutual aid is normally for structure fires that something as minor as an automotive fire.