USS Enterprise Retires

And an interesting side note that wasn't in the article:  Guess who was also there: the Captain of another USS Enterprise . . .  James T. Kirk himself. William Shatner was in town for a show Friday night, and attended the retirement ceremony.  ;)

And I think just as the retirement of the USS Enterprise, another USS Enterprise is about to enter service. I believe it is the USS Enterprise II. If it is true, the ship sure has a Tough Act to follow.

Yes, it will be CVN-80, the USS Enterprise (not II) . . . a Gerald S. Ford class aircraft carrier . . . the 3rd in the Ford class (the 1st [CVN-78] is currently about 40% complete . . . i watch it almost weekly).  They will be the first carriers that will NOT use steam catapults, but will use an electromagnetic system to launch aircraft.  BTW, the 2nd in the Ford class will be CVN-79, the USS John F. Kennedy.

Bulldog

Bulldog
raybrag said:
Yes, it will be CVN-80, the USS Enterprise (not II) . . . a Gerald S. Ford class aircraft carrier . . . the 3rd in the Ford class (the 1st [CVN-78] is currently about 40% complete . . . i watch it almost weekly).  They will be the first carriers that will NOT use steam catapults, but will use an electromagnetic system to launch aircraft.  BTW, the 2nd in the Ford class will be CVN-79, the USS John F. Kennedy.
Not only will the catapults not be steam powered but the entire ship will have nothing run by steam so much of the piping recording traditional carriers be eliminated.  In addition this class of carrier will require far fewer Sailors to operate.

Nothing run by steam!?!?!?!?!?!?(Other than the obvious steam driven equipment) Holy sh*t if I still worked in Reactor Department my whole division would be erased!!!!!

ladder197 said:
Nothing run by steam!?!?!?!?!?!?(Other than the obvious steam driven equipment) Holy sh*t if I still worked in Reactor Department my whole division would be erased!!!!!

Maybe that's a large part of the reason for the 500-900 person reduction in the Ford class ships' crews. According to NavalTechnology.com, "It is estimated that the new carrier technologies will lead to a 30% reduction in maintenance requirements and a further crew workload reduction will be achieved through higher levels of automation."

900 fewer crew members = mega$$ saved to reduce the defense budget or use elsewhere.