Visit to the Shops

How can you get into the shops for a visit? Would like to go and take some pics when i go there this summer.

It was there for repairs...along with Squad 18 and Ladder 109 after their respective wrecks.

Going back several years, I remember the entire block around the Shops was once referred to as "Red Square". The term was used to describe the capital area of Moscow, Russia. But in the case of the FDNY, it was used to describe the entire FDNY Shops area surrounded by Red Fire Trucks parked on "Both" sides of the streets.  You could ride around that very large city block area and all you'd see parked there were the Red Rigs, with a few Lime Green in between. Maybe 40 to 50 in all.

You are right, NFD, although that was several years ago.  They try to limit storage of units outside the shops and have a second location on Paidge Avenue in Greenpoint, Brooklyn where they can store units when there is no room.  I was at the Shops in March and there was only one unit on the street.

johnd248 said:
You are right, NFD, although that was several years ago.  They try to limit storage of units outside the shops and have a second location on Paidge Avenue in Greenpoint, Brooklyn where they can store units when there is no room.  I was at the Shops in March and there was only one unit on the street.

Times have sure changed there right John. I knew that they were also using another area for repairs etc, but didn't know it was on Paidge Ave in Brooklyn. So Thank you. On another note, the fire academy (The Rock), also has a shops building where mostly routine maintaince (Preventive Maint.), is done on the rigs. While these rigs are being worked on, generally, training is done with the members.

FDNY also uses a private third party called "Long Life Truck and Auto Spring" on 39th and Forth Hamilton Parkkway. They usually have 1-2 trucks over there at a time. Just this Friday E-292 was sitting outside with Ladder 21 in the shop. They were even receiving parts from an FDNY fleet maintenance vehicle.

Does FDNY have a Staten Island preventive maintenance facility at Seaview Hospital on Brielle Ave? ???

guitarman314 said:
Does FDNY have a Staten Island preventive maintenance facility at Seaview Hospital on Brielle Ave? ???
i know they keep a few reserve rigs there at the EMS station im pretty sure the fire explorers are there too and i know pd has a few vans and trucks parked there

There is a PM shop right behind the morgue...FDNY Explorers arent located there the Metropolition Explorers are back there!  ;D

Len90 said:
FDNY also uses a private third party called "Long Life Truck and Auto Spring" on 39th and Forth Hamilton Parkkway. They usually have 1-2 trucks over there at a time. Just this Friday E-292 was sitting outside with Ladder 21 in the shop. They were even receiving parts from an FDNY fleet maintenance vehicle.

There is something like this in the hunts point section of the bronx, ive seen a tiller beign worked on several times but dont know the exact location.