Volies' New Firehouse Stopped Dead By DOT

ja488 said:
The Channels place is run down, but yet still maintained by the Brothers.

You said it bro. I'm with Broad Channel VFD and we do take hella good care of our house. Our Chief has been trying to work with elected officials for our new house, we have not yet recieved phone calls yet...

Bulldog, to answer your question, we respond to Broad Channel, which is an area covered by BC47 and DC13.

Now for some input from why we should get a new firehouse:

As far as why us, West Hamilton, etc, still exist, is WE KNOW OUR NEIGHBORHOOD!! We know the buildings, the access routes, where the working hydrants are, so many things better than FDNY. Not to slam FDNY but it is true. We are first due in BC, E266 is the first due FDNY company at all. L137 and L173 are the first due City trucks on our boxes (we respond to all 1600 series boxes in Queens) and they still have to cross a bridge. This delays thier response time, but we operate as both a truck and engine, i.e. FDNY Squad style. We have EMT's, 2 BLS buses, a Hurst, tech bags, plus a water rescue boat. We use 2 beds of 1.3/4 preconnect lines, which reach a large number of our houses on working fires, so we get water on the fire before the city even shows up. We have more backstretch hose on E205's bed than we know what to do with, we will always reach a working hydrant. We have wood frame houses, bungalows sometimes, that would go up like matchsticks burning whole blocks if not for us arriving from less than a mile away and getting water on the fire. Our ambulance was destroyed at the WTC and our first due engine fought a house fire caused by the falling of one of the engines on the crash of Flight 587 in Rockaway. Simply said, BCVFD knows how to get it done.

This department does a lot for our community (parades, events, etc) and is a true example of what a community should have... trained neighbors responding to their neighbors. That's why we exist. We have support from the people that matter the most to us, the people we grew up with, the people we know since forever. Politicians have promised thier support, but with 34,014,975 other things they have to deal with, we will only have to wait and see if we get our new firehouse.

Thanks e203BCVFD, you've said it all. If the city doesn't want to help you then have them reinstate E341 (you history buffs know) on Broad Channel ;)

guitarman, is this different than the old E267 that the city would send to our firehouse? I can't find any info on E341, the highest I see on disbanded companies is E333 from the World's Fair in Flushing Meadows Park.

I have an old 1950's official FDNY roster book showing an E341 located at Church & Noel Rd., Broad Channel. I remember reading somewhere else that it operated during the summer beachgoing season.

** UPDATE **

http://www.rockawave.com/news/2009/0102/editorial/007.html

The city still continues to shoot down the plan for our new firehouse.

The main argument is that E331, L173 and E266, E268 and L137 provide "adequate" fire coverage, a true load of nonsense.  :(

Phone calls to the city still have not been returned to our chief.