Brooklyn:
Gerritsen Beach Fire Dept.

Queens:
Broad Channel Fire Dept.
West Hamilton Beach Fire Dept.
Volunteer Fire Dept. of Roxbury
Point Breeze Fire Dept.
Rockaway Point Fire Dept.

All are active. I think this is a complete list of currently active VFDs in NYC.

Last edited:
Staten Island:
Richmond Engine Co. 1
Oceanic Hook & Ladder Co. 1

Bronx:
Edgewater Park Volunteer Hose Co. 1

Brooklyn:
Gerritsen Beach Fire Dept.
Point Breeze Fire Dept.

Queens:
Broad Channel Fire Dept.
West Hamilton Beach Fire Dept.
Volunteer Fire Dept. of Roxbury

All are active. I think this is a complete list of currently active VFDs in NYC.
I believe these two are in Queens, not Brooklyn.
Point Breeze Fire Dept.

Does anyone know if E70/L53 on city island would ever become a volunteer company if the city decided to close that firehouse.

Does anyone know if E70/L53 on city island would ever become a volunteer company if the city decided to close that firehouse.
First, I don't think the city could close that house due to how isolated it is and the response times that would entail. Second, I don't think there is the volunteer base available even if it did happen. I hear the Edgewater Volunteers are barely still active.

I know it's crazy how isolated city island is and I was thinking the same thing why the city can't close.

A while back they operated a quint on City Island and I can see the city going back to that but for now both units stay In service.

A quint in City Island? Do you mean when they strapped a ground ladder over the hose bed to fool the local citizenry? Not sure the FDNY ever had any quints in front line service.

A quint in City Island? Do you mean when they strapped a ground ladder over the hose bed to fool the local citizenry? Not sure the FDNY ever had any quints in front line service.

"3511", I remember that as well. It was an American LaFrance pumper with a 35' (?) ladder on the roof

Nothing like the above photo posted by "Engine 13".

I know in the City of Milford, Ct., they operate two Quints (Quint 4 and Quint 6). But those two companies operate as two individual ENGINE COMPANIES. They respond to calls as a single engine company in their own response area and they are housed with another separate engine company, Quint 4 w/Engine 3, and Quint 6 w/Engine 5.

I haven't talked to anybody from there in awhile but last I knew the Quints had a 4th firefighters assigned, while the other Engines have 3 firefighters.

At times, if needed the Quints may use their ladder as an addition to their Tower Ladder in service.

They are NOT used to replace the Tower Ladder Co they have in service.

I do know that the Milford Fire Dept is one of three fire departments in Connecticut given a Class 1 ISO rating, with 1 being the highest and 10 the lowest. That number has a large impact on insurance rates, especially for businesses.

City Island did have a quint a long while back prior to 53 Truck going back there. It might have been an old Mack that the shops put together. A picture of it sitting outside their quarters has been on this site a few times.

^^^ would that have been the former Squirt with a short Aerial mounted on it that ENG*70 had while LAD*53 was closed dutring the fake fiscal crisis ? .

Squirt = box beam with an escape ladder hardly qualifies as an aerial ladder. It is a clever trick to try and demonstrate that the company has both laddering and elevated stream capability. I suppose better than nothing but a scam nonetheless.

Squirt = box beam with an escape ladder hardly qualifies as an aerial ladder. It is a clever trick to try and demonstrate that the company has both laddering and elevated stream capability. I suppose better than nothing but a scam nonetheless.
You are Correct ! ......smoke & mirrors & still less manning .

"3511", I remember that as well. It was an American LaFrance pumper with a 35' (?) ladder on the roof

Nothing like the above photo posted by "Engine 13".

I know in the City of Milford, Ct., they operate two Quints (Quint 4 and Quint 6). But those two companies operate as two individual ENGINE COMPANIES. They respond to calls as a single engine company in their own response area and they are housed with another separate engine company, Quint 4 w/Engine 3, and Quint 6 w/Engine 5.

I haven't talked to anybody from there in awhile but last I knew the Quints had a 4th firefighters assigned, while the other Engines have 3 firefighters.

At times, if needed the Quints may use their ladder as an addition to their Tower Ladder in service.

They are NOT used to replace the Tower Ladder Co they have in service.

I do know that the Milford Fire Dept is one of three fire departments in Connecticut given a Class 1 ISO rating, with 1 being the highest and 10 the lowest. That number has a large impact on insurance rates, especially for businesses.
Binghamton, NY pretty much the same ... 2 Quints Operate as stand-alone Engine Co.'s Q.2, Q.3, 1 TL at FD H.Q, Downtown w/Rescue 1 ,( a Squad Engine), around town - Eng.1, Eng.4, Eng,6. Reserve Eng.5 @ H.Q. (Manned during Multiples). Multiples involve Mutual Aid: Johnson City (Small Dept.), Town of Vestal, (Larger/ Vol.), 5 Mile Pt. (Rescue & Truck/Vol.), Towns of Binghamton & Conklin, (Vol. Dept.s w/3-4 Rigs Each).

That rig is not a true quint, it certainly doesn’t have enough ground ladders required plus not sure if that ladder meets minimum length to be considered. I assume the pumps and booster tank plus hose beds are good for minimum standard.