Volunteer fire house in the city.

Thanks Mack. E310 had a Quad before L 174 was established because there. Were no close ladder companies.
As did E96, E251, E312 and some Staten Island companies. I often wondered why 312 had one as L117 was near by although on many boxes it was a long run for L116 who was usually 2nd due.

Bulldog

Bulldog
An apparently more logical apparatus hybrid for today’s fire and EMS demands was the pumper with an ambulance module and the ambulance with a booster tank and pump. Both were field tested in Miami Dade, Florida but the concepts did not catch on elsewhere.
When I 1st saw that hybrid approach I thought it was rather strange because an ambulance are out of service for a while when they are at the hospital. Why Tie up a piece of apparatus with the associated manpower for something like this? The SUV as a medical response vehicle paired with an engine company (or truck company) at least to me makes a lot more sense that way the wear-and-tear and the large piece of apparatus is reduced and it is kept in service, although with less manning, while the if UV takes in the medical run.

When I 1st saw that hybrid approach I thought it was rather strange because an ambulance are out of service for a while when they are at the hospital. Why Tie up a piece of apparatus with the associated manpower for something like this? The SUV as a medical response vehicle paired with an engine company (or truck company) at least to me makes a lot more sense that way the wear-and-tear and the large piece of apparatus is reduced and it is kept in service, although with less manning, while the if UV takes in the medical run.
Phoenix ladder companies are all two piece with the second piece being a utility type vehicle used for EMS runs. Concept has expanded to all ladder companies and now some engine companies also. It is also being adopted by more departments.

In Willy's town, the proposal is to eliminate the engine and replace it with an EMS SUV and reduce staffing at that station.