WAR Years Audio

Do you have a guess what year and time frame this occurred?

The guy on C @ 6th was a bit stressed ???

Understandable, I think we lost a member at this fire...Marty Celic RIP  please correct me if Im wrong

mack

Administrator
July 2, 1977
Marty Celic.  He was assigned to L 18 and he was doing OT in E 15 when they had a tenament fire, stretched to the top floor, and then someone torched the floor below cutting them off. The engine members dove for the bucket and Marty did not make it.  Onlookers actually cheered when this happened.  A lot more to that story but what a loss.

http://www.msgrfarrellhs.org/HallofFame2010/

I was a member of Tower Ladder 18 at this time. My friend Ff. Marty TL-18 was assigned to TL-18 about the same time I was. I was off that day, but Marty Celic was working overtime in Engine 15 that tour. E-15 responded to a 10-92 False Alarm and found this fire as they were returning to their quarters, then on Henry St. An arsonist had started a fire on the top floor of the building and E-15 ordered a 10-75 and started to fight the fire via a hose stretch up the front fire escape. They started to operate when a fire was, either later ignited was on the 1st floor of the same building OR flammable liquid already placed on the 1st floor was ignited by burning embers falling from the top floor fire. The whole building became enveloped in heavy black smoke and heavy fire, trapping E-15 on the front fire escape with fire below them. TL-18 responded and position the T.L. Bucket to the front fire escape, to give E-15 a way off the front of the heavily involved fire building. As E-15 members, including Marty moved from fire escape to the TL Bucket. Marty Stepped on a damaged fire escape step and missed the bucket and fell 5 stories to the street. He survived a few days and then died as swelling in his brain, made survival impossible. My heart still aches after all these years for my friend Marty, and I will never forget his smile and his kindness to everyone he knew. We lost one of the good ones back in 1977. I still grieve for my friend.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired. former Firemen ij FDNY Tower Ladder 18.

I was a member of Tower Ladder 18 at this time. My friend Ff. Marty TL-18 was assigned to TL-18 about the same time I was. I was off that day, but Marty Celic was working overtime in Engine 15 that tour. E-15 responded to a 10-92 False Alarm and found this fire as they were returning to their quarters, then on Henry St. An arsonist had started a fire on the top floor of the building and E-15 ordered a 10-75 and started to fight the fire via a hose stretch up the front fire escape. They started to operate when a fire was, either later ignited was on the 1st floor of the same building OR flammable liquid already placed on the 1st floor was ignited by burning embers falling from the top floor fire. The whole building became enveloped in heavy black smoke and heavy fire, trapping E-15 on the front fire escape with fire below them. TL-18 responded and position the T.L. Bucket to the front fire escape, to give E-15 a way off the front of the heavily involved fire building. As E-15 members, including Marty moved from fire escape to the TL Bucket. Marty Stepped on a damaged fire escape step and missed the bucket and fell 5 stories to the street. He survived a few days and then died as swelling in his brain, made survival impossible. My heart still aches after all these years for my friend Marty, and I will never forget his smile and his kindness to everyone he knew. We lost one of the good ones back in 1977. I still grieve for my friend.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired. former Firemen ij FDNY Tower Ladder 18.
Mike Barone had the roof that job, he talks about it on Gettin Salty

Mike Barone, then in TL-18 was working a mutual exchange of tour for me that day.
I had a wedding to go to, so Mike Barone was working for me that day. It has always bothered me that Mike Barone had to deal with that tragic fire. Among the real heroes, was Firefighter Davey Esher TL-18, in spite of the zero-viability due to heavy black smoke he, as the Ladder Company Chauffeur of TL-18 stayed at the turntable and was able to place the T.L. Bucket close enough to the trapped members of Eng. 15 to give them a way to escape from the front fire escape, all of them sadly with the exception of Marty Celic. All the members all the units on the scene acted heroically that day. Brothers and sisters ALWAYS make sure a qualified person is at the turntable of any Tower, Snorkel or Aerial Ladder t
View attachment peaked-roof-hole-blow-torch_std.mp4
View attachment peaked-roof-hole-blow-torch_std.mp4
o move the Basket or the Aerial if some gets in trouble, civilians OR firefighters. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Mike Barone, then in TL-18 was working a mutual exchange of tour for me that day.
I had a wedding to go to, so Mike Barone was working for me that day. It has always bothered me that Mike Barone had to deal with that tragic fire. Among the real heroes, was Firefighter Davey Esher TL-18, in spite of the zero-viability due to heavy black smoke he, as the Ladder Company Chauffeur of TL-18 stayed at the turntable and was able to place the T.L. Bucket close enough to the trapped members of Eng. 15 to give them a way to escape from the front fire escape, all of them sadly with the exception of Marty Celic. All the members all the units on the scene acted heroically that day. Brothers and sisters ALWAYS make sure a qualified person is at the turntable of any Tower, Snorkel or Aerial Ladder t
View attachment 42613
View attachment 42613
o move the Basket or the Aerial if some gets in trouble, civilians OR firefighters. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
When he told the story of what happened with the dispatcher I was absolutely shocked.