War Years term origin

Where did the term originate and when did the War Years begin and when did the War Years end?

E82T31B27 said:
Where did the term originate and when did the War Years begin and when did the War Years end?
The term basically was coined due to the fact that it was like a War being fought against the enemy Fire that was ravishing NYC....in my estimation the FDNY War Years were from around 1965 thru around 1979 JMO.

Jimmy Breslin, News reporter wrote an article titled " Firemen dont go to work, they go to war " and it stuck. 65 ta 79 is about right

1261Truckie said:
Can anyone post a copy of Breslin's story?
Breslin also wrote an article with color pictures in the news magazine supplement to a Sunday issue of the old Journal American it was around Dec '61 or maybe '62 ?... it centered around 120 & was titled "Who Turns Off The Christmas Lights On Pitkin Ave"  maybe someone can dig it up for posting here ?

Slightly off topic, but one of Jimmy Breslin's best columns, in my opinion, was published in the Trib very shortly after the Madison Square Fire and included the line (I'm paraphrasing) "But still they come, and they come with the pureness of heart of someone who's willing to sacrifice his life for someone else." 

If anyone can find a copy of that column, it should definitely be recorded here.  Absolutely magnificent.