What does a typical FDNY Battalion Staff consist of

What does a typical FDNY Battalion Staff consist of? How many battalion chiefs? How many aides? How many fire officers (not including chiefs)? When is a battalion chief called to an incident? At a building fire what is the relationship between the incident battalion chief and a truck and/ or engine company's officer?

What does a typical FDNY Battalion Staff consist of? How many battalion chiefs? How many aides? How many fire officers (not including chiefs)? When is a battalion chief called to an incident? At a building fire what is the relationship between the incident battalion chief and a truck and/ or engine company's officer?
Every Battalion in FDNY works the same shifts as the Companies in the field. So in a typical Battalion there are 4 Chiefs assigned and four Aides, who are full duty Firefighters.
The Battalion Chief is assigned per Box Assessment. A Chief would not normally be assigned to a Medical run, car fire etc where a 1 & 1 is required. Although a Chief may assign himself at anytime.
At an incident the 1st due Battalion Chief is the incident Commander until higher rank are called to the scene, i.e. Deputy Chief on the All Hands.
As for other officers each Battalion may have many Lieutenants assigned but they are usually just a manpower pool to fill in for vacations, medical leaves, etc.
Hope that helps

Yes, thanks, that does help. Would anyone know how much interaction there is between a LCC (ladder chauffeur) and the incident Battalion Chief?

Yes, thanks, that does help. Would anyone know how much interaction there is between a LCC (ladder chauffeur) and the incident Battalion Chief?
The positioning of the company apparatus is up to the company officer, especially on the first alarm. On multiple alarms the incident commander may and will give specific instructions to incoming units.
But as a Chauffeur and Officer I valued the judgment of a good Chauffeur, be it ECC or LCC. After the initial response the Chief may and could redirect and redeploy any apparatus or use of Apparatus.
There could be a whole new tread on great Chauffeurs, I know of a few I worked with. They are the backbone of the company.

Regarding this statement, of the thousands of fire departments in this country, most turn their attention to the "how" and "why" regarding the operation of the FDNY. Simply put, this entire site is built around those two questions. That cannot be said on the reverse regarding most members wondering the "How" and "Why" of the other departments in this country. For those member who serve the FDNY, past and present, just realize many are genuinely interested in the most mundane components of your operation.

Perhaps I can comment as a LCC. Hardly, if any. I cannot think of any reason to contact the Incident Commander.

Last edited:
Regarding this statement, of the thousands of fire departments in this country, most turn their attention to the "how" and "why" regarding the operation of the FDNY. Simply put, this entire site is built around those two questions. That cannot be said on the reverse regarding most members wondering the "How" and "Why" of the other departments in this country. For those member who serve the FDNY, past and present, just realize many are genuinely interested in the most mundane components of your operation.
As a retired FDNY living outside NY and travel, I often ask those ‘how and why’ questions to Brother Firefighters and Sister's I meet. I have no problem talking firefighting. I consider myself a ‘Combustion Suppression Consultant’ who works for a beer or two.
To answer a question or two that might seem trivial to some is my pleasure and brings back memories. I find it enlightening to find out how other Departments are organized and fight the Red Devil without the resources of the FDNY. If Dave or anyone wants to find more info on our SOP as written or on the fly let them ask. Isn’t this what we do?

Back in the 60s- early 70s, when I was riding with E 248, I was often "detailed" to B 41. In between banging out fire reports on a manual typewriter with five pieces of carbon paper and six sheets of paper, I would ride in the back seat of the battalion Ford station wagon. Everyone referred to me as the Aide to the Aide. Since as an auxiliary I had a yellow helmet, some called me the " Lemon Aide". Got to know all of the brothers in the Battalion and responded to more fires.

When the chief goes in the fire building, does the side go with them. And if so, what do they do ?

When the chief goes in the fire building, does the side go with them. And if so, what do they do ?
On multiple alarms when a chief goes into the building usually his aide goes with him. At that point the chief would be on a tactical channel and the aide would be on a command channel with their portables. There are other reasons but none are actually doing fire duty like stretching hose or pulling ceilings