What is this used for???

Don't know, but Mike Martinelli has a better pic of it here (it's the very last photo):

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/specialunits/soc.htm

Considering that the photo is 10 years old, maybe it's not still in service??  It's not the dewatering unit, is it? ??? ???

"Anesti", thats a good question. If it's the last rig in those photos you are talking about, I don't think it is the Dewatering unit or that it ever was. All those other Dewatering rigs were in service while that rig sat for years outside SOC Hqs. I hope somebody out there knows, because for years I had the same question.

As far as I can tell all it ever does is sit in front of SOC HQ; I don't think it has any particular assignment other than to sit there as a "just in case" unit and occasionally appear in TV shows.  ::)

catry said:
As far as I can tell all it ever does is sit in front of SOC HQ; I don't think it has any particular assignment other than to sit there as a "just in case" unit and occasionally appear in TV shows.  ::)

Well I did see a picture of it at the wtc incident it was a shot of the back door open and empty inside. I once heard it was a way to get really large people off of highrises,but I can't see how that was possible with that kind of rig.

HCO

The pictured apparatus is a 1997 Ford Super Duty F450 diesel powered four door chassis, with a Marion custom built body. It carries FDNY registration number FM9787 and is assigned to SOC on Roosevelt Island. It is merely classed as a "utility" vehicle and carries varied equipment, including some decon supplies. At one time it was classed as the Asbestos Removal Truck. It has a Maxon hydraulic lift gate in the rear and an electric winch in the front. It has been in service since November 12, 1997. There is an photo of same on Page 4 of the November/December 1997 issue of Fire Apparatus Journal. SOC uses it for various purposes, as needed.

this truck was in an episoide of third watch. it was the one where the firefighters had to lower an 800 pound woman down a building and they used this truck to get her to the hospital

HCO said:
The pictured apparatus is a 1997 Ford Super Duty F450 diesel powered four door chassis, with a Marion custom built body. It carries FDNY registration number FM9787 and is assigned to SOC on Roosevelt Island. It is merely classed as a "utility" vehicle and carries varied equipment, including some decon supplies. At one time it was classed as the Asbestos Removal Truck. It has a Maxon hydraulic lift gate in the rear and an electric winch in the front. It has been in service since November 12, 1997. There is an photo of same on Page 4 of the November/December 1997 issue of Fire Apparatus Journal. SOC uses it for various purposes, as needed.
If he had to guess!!!