Willis Sands - FDNY Medic and Auxiliary Firefighter (?)

A 69 year old Connecticut Volunteer Firefighter by the name of Willis Sands was hit and killed by a car on Route 354, Sunday evening, October 29th in Salam, Ct when he was walking home from a Trick or Treat event, sponsored by the volunteer department, Gardner Lake Volunteer Fire Department, of which he was a member of.

I have also heard that Willis Sands was once a paramedic with the FDNY, as well as an Auxiliary FDNY Firefighter with Engine 274 (?), several years ago.

Willis was not FDNY. He worked at St. John's Queens Hospital and Mary Immaculate Hospitals on 911 voluntary ambulances. Mywife and I knew Willis for quite some time from our employment. Can't say for sure on the 274 Aux. Rest In Peace Willis and condolences to all that knew him.

I worked with Willis at St Johns Hospital for
25 years. Willis was a Auxiliary Capt in the big house. ( 264 / 328 / 134 ) for quite awhile and l was Aux. Capt in E 319..
He was at my house not to long ago when l gave him one of the old St Johns patches that he asked me for.

This coming Saturday we are scheduled to have a ST Johns reunion to with he started since 5 of our members passed away within the past month or so.

WILLIS YOU WILL TRULY BE MISSED BY ONE AND ALL. I AM PROUD TO CALL YOU MY FRIEND AND CO- WORKER. R.I.P.

Last edited: