WINDOW BARS.

Window bars set in place "beyond" the reach of an intruder.

I understand the fact of bars placed on the first floor or perhaps near a fire escape stairway. But two or three floors up and far away from any fire escape is nothing short of a willingness to commit suicide by the occupants of these apartments.

I remember asking one of the retired members who worked in an area where many of these conditions existed "how do you deal with all these window bars". I was told that sometimes a chain set up, designed by a few of the members, is attached to the ladder and those bars are removed by retracting the ladder. Meantime some occupants or young kids are in there chocking on the deadly smoke or their lungs burning up from the inhaled heat.

It's nothing short of a miracle that more people don't die in these fires.

nfd2004 said:
Window bars set in place "beyond" the reach of an intruder.

I understand the fact of bars placed on the first floor or perhaps near a fire escape stairway. But two or three floors up and far away from any fire escape is nothing short of a willingness to commit suicide by the occupants of these apartments.

I remember asking one of the retired members who worked in an area where many of these conditions existed "how do you deal with all these window bars". I was told that sometimes a chain set up, designed by a few of the members, is attached to the ladder and those bars are removed by retracting the ladder. Meantime some occupants or young kids are in there chocking on the deadly smoke or their lungs burning up from the inhaled heat.

It's nothing short of a miracle that more people don't die in these fires.

I don't know if they're still being used, but we used to have battery operated re-bar cutters which were fairly lightweight and could be operated from a portable ladder, aerial or tower ladder.

In addition to window bars, there were many homes that were enclosed and completely surrounded with these bars as fencing, looked like living in a bird cage. The FDNY policy is to have a truck company respond specifically to address the task of bar removal. Once in awhile, if we had to send a saw out for repair and there was no available battalion saw for temporary replacement, I suggested the remaining saw be complete with metal cutting blade...reasoning that other trucks will be coming in with their saws for the roof, plus there was usually immediate roof openings anyway, i.e. scuttle, skylight, bulkhead. But if we pulled up with someone behind a window bar in danger, seconds could matter. My concern did not go over to well...

Many problems thru the years with Window Bars ...gates ....steel "storm doors" ...etc.......also many techniques developed or experimented with....one that was developed by a Friend & Top Notch FF was by LT Dan Buckheit (now RET ...FF LAD*124 & LT LAD*154) was a system with a hook that was placed on a bar point (that was weakened by striking the brick or masonary with an Axe or Maul) then using the fork of the Halligan on the chain to "pull" the bar out of the bldg....another version he had was a length of cable with a hook attached & some pieces crimped at various points to allow the Halligan fork to engage the cable (similar to a chain link) ..... there was a small article in an older WNYF with pictures detailing this technique but like a lot of other good ideas it did not really take off Job wide....maybe someone can dig this article up ?.....LT Dan also formalized some ideas to rapidly remove energy efficient windows from both inside & outside...the name Buckheit is well respected in the FDNY & are some of the most tenacious "Into The Job" Training oriented Men....LT Dan as i said above was a War Years FF in 124 when Bushwick was Burning & a tireless trainer in 154....His Dad RIP RET as a BC ....his Son Dan JR was a FF in 108 & now a FF in R*4....His Brother John was a FF in 219...SQ*41...LT 175 .....CPT 136...BC BN*7....DC ?....Chief at the Rock...AC Fire Prevention still Active....also a Cousin in the Marine Bn & another in ?.....a very impressive group...LT Dan i would say has saved numerous FFs lives & prevented many injuries through his constant training & insisting that FFs learned & trained constantly ....his Brother John is still following in his footsteps as an innovator & doer. 

I think that is the location of "The Brooklyn Institute for the Treatment of Paranoia" :LOL: