Work Schedules

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the work schedule for a typical fdny firefighter? Also do the battalion chiefs work the same schedule? Thanx

HCO

The standard work chart is two day tours, two days off, two night tours, three days off, two day tours, one day off, two night tours, three days off, two day tours, one day off, two night tours, and three days off.

Officers and battalion chiefs have the same schedule, however, many members, including chiefs, implement mutual trades with their opposite number in the company (or battalion) which allows them to work 24-hour tours.

HCO said:
The standard work chart is two day tours, two days off, two night tours, three days off, two day tours, one day off, two night tours, three days off, two day tours, one day off, two night tours, and three days off.

Officers and battalion chiefs have the same schedule, however, many members, including chiefs, implement mutual trades with their opposite number in the company (or battalion) which allows them to work 24-hour tours.

It is a 2 platoon, 25 day cycle chart. 2 9x6 tours, 48 hrs off, 2 6x9 tours 72 hours off,  after 25 days you get 72 hrs off after your day tours. Most members swap tours with groups opposite them and work 24hrs straight, however the swaps start at  six pm and end the following night. The "mutual" after the 25 cycles days is referred to as an up and down and the 24 hr tour starts at 9 am and ends the following morning. Confusing? It's not as simple as 1 day on and  3 days off.

WOW that is confusing. We do 24/48 in Franklin,TN. I believe all the paid dept's in Tennessee are that  way. Either A,B,C shift.

What happens when an alarm comes in during the change of shifts? If you're coming off duty can you respond if you like?

HCO

No - you can't respond after your tour ends.  FDNY uses an electronically produced riding list for each unit for each tour.  Each position on the unit riding list has a unique handi-talkie radio with its own ID.  Thus, when a member activates the emergency button in a MAYDAY situation, the system will identify the radio which shows the unit and riding position and the list for that tour will show the member's name.  The Department does not allow members to respond unless listed on the riding list, and the list does not permit extra names.

B

Bigandy

This has to do with dispatch work schedules. How do those work? Same as FDNY or totally different system. I know they probably don't do 24 straight. Thanks

We work 12 hours tours. Two day tours from 0700 to 1900, then 2 night tours from 1900 to 0700, then 4 days off. We get a 5th day off on the 3rd set of tours making a 25 day cycle. The most we can work is 18 hours. There are no facilities for rest or recreation.

B

Bigandy

Thank you. When I was at rescue 2 a few years back, I spoke to a few of the guys about the tests and about dispatchers. They said the exam is pretty tough (Dispatchers exam).  I'm just curious, mildly, what does it entail? I've always loved listening in to all the voices throughout the years, and I was just wondering what it takes to be one of 'em.

The test wasn't that difficult, if I remember right. Some memorization questions, listening comprehension, and a lot of common sense stuff. They now have a typing test they have to pass as well. Our schedule is pretty good and allows us a decent amount of time off. Once you get to a certain point, with vacation days, regular days off and one mutual, you can get a full three weeks off.

I agree. But you do get the occasional 'anamoly' that sneaks in.
As far as pension is concerned, I think it maxes out at 60% after 30 years.