Yonkers Apparatus?

S

SR5821FD

Anyone know or care to speculate why YFD would buy ALF engines and Tower's but not sticks? Im sure cost is one factor, but not the only factor!

Do you think YFD equipment gets as much of  beating as FDNY equipment, referring to roadways and call volume, not operator's?

G

goyankees1414

I don't know the answer to your question, but I am pretty sure the FDNY gets a lot more calls than Yonkers. Seagraves are nicer the American La France's. Hope this answered one of your questions.

-Mike

http://www.youtube.com/user/goyankees1414

Check out www.scanfulton.com

I don't know the answer to your first question but Yonkers FD has a large call volume since its a large city but they don't have as many calls as FDNY. The roadways in Yonkers aren't that bad but its a city so they dont have the nicest paved roads in the world. YFD rigs take a beating just like any large Department. Everything contributes to rigs getting beatin up, call volume, maintenece, weather, roadways ,etc.

S

SR5821FD

FDNY 6012 said:
I don't know the answer to your first question but Yonkers FD has a large call volume since its a large city but they don't have as many calls as FDNY. The roadways in Yonkers aren't that bad but its a city so they dont have the nicest paved roads in the world. YFD rigs take a beating just like any large Department. Everything contributes to rigs getting beatin up, call volume, maintenece, weather, roadways ,etc.

Thanks, Yonkers is actually the 4th largest City in NY. I hope there aren't to many dept's that are getting rigs beat up during "Maintence"!

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The sticks they having been using were put threw some testing on the steep hills of Yonkes and did the best.
If anyone has ever been to Yonkers, it is the city of hills..

They did the testing on my street.  It was pretty impressive how on such a steep grade they were able to level the rig.  With all the hills in this city, I think these rigs are a perfect fit for what the YFD needs.

S

SR5821FD

Well I do appreciate all the comments but so far no one has answered either of my questions. I am aware Yonkers is not FDNY, I am aware Yonkers does not run nearly as many calls as FDNY. I am aware Yonkers is a city with alot of hills and I am aware that the Smeal ladders were put through some pretty rigorous testing. I am also aware that Yonkers runs HME/Smeal ladders. And I dont care if Seagraves are nicer than ALF's.

My questions were/are:

"Anyone know or care to speculate why YFD would buy ALF engines and Tower's but not sticks? Im sure cost is one factor, but not the only factor!

Do you think YFD equipment gets as much of  beating as FDNY equipment, referring to roadways and call volume, not operator's?"

Im not insisting that anyone has to answer, but It would be nice if you do have a comment, that It might pertain to the question asked!

yonkers is actually pretty busy, i know for one their rescue company logged alot of miles thats why it was replaced and squad 11 was created. im pretty sure their rigs get beat up

S

SR5821FD

anesti said:
yonkers is actually pretty busy, i know for one their rescue company logged alot of miles thats why it was replaced and squad 11 was created. im pretty sure their rigs get beat up

Thank you! Thats what I was looking for.

SR, I'm a Yonkers FF on R-1, Here's your answers: The streets in Yonkers suck ! We have MANY hills, which beat up the apparatus pretty good. We have companies doing 3600+ runs a year. We went with the HME/Smeal rearmounts because it gave us more use of the stick on our very steep grades than the ALF/LTI stix. ALF was the low bidder on the Pumpers and TL's the past few years, but they are built to YFD specs- which are stringent (hills again) and not too many manufacturers care to bid on them. Rescue-1's 2000ALF was a good rig for us, but was replaced in 2007 with 70k miles on it (now a spare). The ALF's have their problems, but not garbage. The rigs are used, driven hard (roads,hills) and thus far not too bad.....................

S

SR5821FD

R1SmokeEater said:
SR, I'm a Yonkers FF on R-1, Here's your answers: The streets in Yonkers suck ! We have MANY hills, which beat up the apparatus pretty good. We have companies doing 3600+ runs a year. We went with the HME/Smeal rearmounts because it gave us more use of the stick on our very steep grades than the ALF/LTI stix. ALF was the low bidder on the Pumpers and TL's the past few years, but they are built to YFD specs- which are stringent (hills again) and not too many manufacturers care to bid on them. Rescue-1's 2000ALF was a good rig for us, but was replaced in 2007 with 70k miles on it (now a spare). The ALF's have their problems, but not garbage. The rigs are used, driven hard (roads,hills) and thus far not too bad.....................

Again, Thank You very much SmokeEater!

Smoke eater,

Does Yonkers have any houses that see a high volume of fire?

How does E306 rate as a company?/

regards

Jed

S

SR5821FD

The run stats are only current to 06 though, but Im sure they are within 10% for 08!

How come come Yonkers won't re-number their apparatus? Engine 1, 2, 3 etc. Are they bound by any law/requirement to go along with that strange Weschester County numbering system. Yonkers is an independent City in relation to Westchester County, yes/no?

At one time, they did number the apparatus Engine 3, Engine 6, etc. They switched to go in in line with the present system established by Westchester County, sometime in the late 70's/early 80's I think it was. I'm honestly not sure why. The only units in Yonkers that I can think of that aren't bound by the numbering system are the Chiefs. If you want to see an interesting set up, look at Continental Village up on the Westchester/Putnam Border. The rigs there are not only numbered for Westchester, but numbered for Putnam as well, 14-2-2, 14-6-1 etc.

What's so strange about the way Westchester does it?? Engine 185 from Somers, Engine 58 in Port Chester. Seems pretty cut and dry. Yonkers is a city in Westchester County, however, if they go mutual aid and operate on the Westchester frequencies, they could be confused with other units. Mount Vernon numbers their rigs Engine 1, Truck 1, but if they go over to Pelham, they are Engine 201 or Ladder 62.

I thought it was a strange setup because Westchester County is not the governing body. If it was a county-run Dept. paid and/or volunteer, I could see the reasoning better. My hometown Volunteer Dept.(Colonia, NJ) utilizes something similar to the other setup you referenced.. 12-1, 12-2, 12-3 being the Engines and 12-2-1 being the Tower Ladder

Y

YFDFireBuff.

Smeal just won a couple of bids over Pierce & ALF from the 2007-2008 contract.

They are looking to get 2 ALF Engines (Previous Delayed Contract - My Guess They Are For Engines 308 & 309)

1 Smeal Pumper On A Sprtan Cab
1 Smeal Rescue Pumper On A Spartan Cab
1 Smeal Rearmount Ladder W/ Fixed Waterway

Hope I'm Correct.