CFR engines

Does anyone remember what year FDNY began the CFR engine program ? Thanks in advance

Not certain but it looks like 1996. 1996 is the first year medical runs show up on the runs and workers stats, and 1997 was apparently the first year the graduates of the academy received CFR-D training. Another post on this site references the "mid 90s" and the FDNY/EMS merger was in 1996 so that all seems to align. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Update: per an excerpt from FF Hashagen's book "The Bravest" the first CFR-D units went online in Division 11 in December of 1994, but the program took two and a half years to fully implement.

Last edited:
Not certain but it looks like 1996. 1996 is the first year medical runs show up on the runs and workers stats, and 1997 was apparently the first year the graduates of the academy received CFR-D training. Another post on this site references the "mid 90s" and the FDNY/EMS merger was in 1996 so that all seems to align. Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Update: per an excerpt from FF Hashagen's book "The Bravest" the first CFR-D units went online in Division 11 in December of 1994, but the program took two and a half years to fully implement.

Thanks for the reply HFN

Prior to CFRD the FDNY had a CPR program utilizing all ENGs on EMS Runs but the present day CFRD went online in QNS ENGs around Aug / Sept 1995 it had originally been a Pilot Program in BN*57 ENGs in BKLYN awhile before that......not sure of the date of full implementation in the other Boro's.

In the CFRD Pilot Program in BN*57 there was no segmenting or screening of the Runs....whatever call was made to 9-11 relating to EMS for anything an ENG went so they ran almost constantly until calls later became (somewhat) segmented. (if you could call it such).