9/19/23 Bronx MVA w/ Pin Box 4243

Where is Rescue 3? This a long run for Rescue 4. Perhaps it is time to reinstate ALL the Rescue support ladder companies and upgrade their, tool compliment. It seems in all Boroughs the line FDNY units are responding to more Motor Vehicle Accidents = M.V.A.s. Yes, have the rescue and squad respond to all "Pins" but if rescue support ladder companies were better equipped it may free up the Rescues and Squads for the worst incidents. I was trained as part of "Operation S.A.V.E." = "Swift Advanced Vehicle Extrication" back in the 1980s. A great course and perhaps it is time to revise and update that training and train all FDNY members in S.A.VE. "Virg" Captain John Viggiano was the great teacher that taught, me a many others through his "S.A.V.E." Course. That is John's PHOTO BELOW. Rest in Peace "Virg" and what you taught lives on.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Attachments

• FDNY Capt. John T. Vigiano.jpg
    FDNY Capt. John T. Vigiano.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 5
Regarding the captain's comments above, just curious, does the SSL second piece carry anything in terms of extrication tools that aren't already carried on the main ladder company rig? I know the SSLs have a hurst tool on the second piece but that's in addition to the tool on the ladder rig, right?

Regarding the captain's comments above, just curious, does the SSL second piece carry anything in terms of extrication tools that aren't already carried on the main ladder company rig? I know the SSLs have a hurst tool on the second piece but that's in addition to the tool on the ladder rig, right?
If you scroll through this link. Skyler made a video of what's inside a SSL

Tactical training does a very good job of teaching extrication. Most trucks go about 4 times a year to try to catch each group. Nothing really in a SSL second piece to make a difference. New Rigs also have battery operated tools, and they are good. 2nd truck responding with second set of tools. Rescues and some of the squads work out deals with salvage yards to cut up some cars. Except for a roll over where you might be looking for jack studs to support the vehicle, the trucks have most of the tools needed.

Every FDNY ladder company has a hurst tool, air bags, whizzer saw, air chisel, torch, cribbing, FE saw(s), Sawszall, grinder, rebar cutter, Beluga glass cutting attachment at minimum.

Maybe Lebby can help us

Maybe they pulled a Brooklyn one cuz of it being a MOS

I don't know EMS grabbed it from nycfirewire lol

Thanks brother we all hit the wrong key sometimes. Hope the Police Officer are OK and safety home with their families,'
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Last edited:

I have been retired a few years but when I was active the extrication tools were carried on the main ladder co, rig. I still work for the FDNY as a Peer Counselor for the World Trade Center Health Care Program/Counseling Service Unit at the Middletown N.Y. Office, so I am still in touch with a lot of what is going on in my beloved FDNY. Still, most of the people are the very best. but the city is talking about more cutbacks.
I cannot believe that the city is reducing the number of active "Rescue Support Ladder Companies."
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

How often do the SSl trucks go to work as a SSL? And do the rescue and squads have a better set of extrication tools as the trucks (bigger spread heavier duty cutters ...) or do they have the same as the trucks