Fleet Friday FDNY SPECIAL UNIT COMPARTMENTS

The firefighters are responsible to shovel the snow from the front of the firehouse as well as from around hydrants if the snow is deep enough.
My 1st year in the F.D.N.Y. I walked into the firehouse of my unit at the time Engine 27, the senior man said to md "Kid, can you play the Bango. "
I didn't know what he meant, until he handed me a big snow shovel and said dig the sidewalk in front of quarters clear and keep it that way.
I spent the next hour or so shoveling snow and went out every hour or so to do more shoveling.
Sometimes the biggest job is to keep the hydrants clear of snow. When I was Captain of Engine 26, we had a huge snowstorm and I had to go and buy 10 foot 1" by 2"s, we dug the hydrants out and then attached the 1 by 2's to the hydrants so we could find them again after the snowplow piled up snow around them again. I you live in an area where there are hydrants get some exercise and dig hydrants out of the snow for your local firefighters. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

is this a high pressure engine?

was there talk of combining the high-rise unit with high-pressure pumper?

There use to be 25 SOC Support Ladders. Now it’s down to 15 and the 10 are only Decon Support Task Force. CPCs don’t do Decon Task Force. Engine companies with a SSL are the Decon Engines and the Decon stuff is on the SSL.

CPCs are not Hazmat Techs they carry a lot of the SSL stuff for removing patients but just don’t have Hazmat metering capabilities…

More then likely SSLs will be done all together
Seems like it would make more sense to give everything to the SSL’s and just do away with the CPC’s altogether

ladder tenders would be the way to go. they used the concept very well in Arizona but as way, as a cost, saving measure not to run the ladders all the time. The FDNY can use it more as a second piece and then use it as a separate apparatus in times needed. just my opinion.

ladder tenders would be the way to go. they used the concept very well in Arizona but as way, as a cost, saving measure not to run the ladders all the time. The FDNY can use it more as a second piece and then use it as a separate apparatus in times needed. just my opinion.
I mean that’s more or less what the SSLs are already

It just seems to me that the CPCs are kinda unnecessary when the SSLs already pretty much carry the same stuff and seemingly do more…Give the SSLs the rest of the decon stuff and the fans, and just do away with the CPCs altogether 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
I mean that’s more or less what the SSLs are already

It just seems to me that the CPCs are kinda unnecessary when the SSLs already pretty much carry the same stuff and seemingly do more…Give the SSLs the rest of the decon stuff and the fans, and just do away with the CPCs altogether 🤷🏼‍♂️
CPC members are not Hazmat Level.

seems like the whole program there needs to just be re-organized and restructured they should just develop a hazmat company for each of the Boros and call it good.

seems like the whole program there needs to just be re-organized and restructured they should just develop a hazmat company for each of the Boros and call it good.
They're call HazTech engines, there is not the volume or funding to justify more.

Reactions: HC7
The SSL‘s fall under the Rescue Ops of SOC . the CPC’s fall under the Hazmat ops of SOC. Two different budgets and more importantly two different Federally funded grants. It’s all about the federal grant money...or in this case the lack of federal grant money for the SSL anymore.

Last edited: