Fleet Friday FDNY SPECIAL UNIT COMPARTMENTS

So, since SQ8 has one of these as their second piece…is it set up just like this and they don’t carry all the trench/collapse stuff? Or is it same truck, different design
Squad 8 2nd Piece was originally going to Rescue 5 as a HMTU. Rescue 5 is not a Tech Unit anymore since SQ8 was formed. Squad 8 2nd Piece is like all other squads. They have a new 2nd Piece on order.

I remember that at one time Squad 1 in Brooklyn had a 2nd Piece called, I think a "T.R.V. ="Tactical Response Vehicle" Does anyone have photos?
I covered a few tours in FDNY Squad 1 as a Covering Captain in the early 1990's. I was a busy place indeed. One night tour we had 5 jobs, all of them multiple alarms. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

Attachments

• FDNY Squad 1 ALF NOTE Extra Red Lights near bumper.jpg
    FDNY Squad 1 ALF NOTE Extra Red Lights near bumper.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 18
I remember that at one time Squad 1 in Brooklyn had a 2nd Piece called, I think a "T.R.V. ="Tactical Response Vehicle" Does anyone have photos?
I covered a few tours in FDNY Squad 1 as a Covering Captain in the early 1990's. I was a busy place indeed. One night tour we had 5 jobs, all of them multiple alarms. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.
Here is a picture of the TRV. My understanding is before the other six squads were formed, SQ1 ran with the TRV as a second piece for both technical rescue and HAZMAT responses. I am not sure exactly what would trigger a response (certain signal or alarm level, etc). It also served as a backup to HAZMAT 1. After the other squads were formed, SQ1 with the TRV remained assigned citywide on 10-60s. Nowadays, SQ1 has the same second piece as all the other squads and gets assigned the same way as all the other squads. f3d642bba78e845f3e41b96ded6b5437.jpg

Ok, I guess I could have said "other than some extremely minor details", all squads get assigned the same way...

Thanks for the photo. I believe that the photo of the rig is of a later 2nd Piece that Squad 1 had.
But I may be wrong. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Thanks for the photo. I believe that the photo of the rig is of a later 2nd Piece that Squad 1 had.
But I may be wrong. Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
They had a 91 International & a 99 Freightliner before this one posted