12/13/22 Brooklyn 3rd Alarm Box 3810

Fire Location: 700 Columbia St

Erie Basin Auto Pound aka NYPD Evidence Coumpound ....

79d1ad7d-c862-410f-b0fe-7bb4b58a097a-jpeg.27176

ls that yellow ball the sun ???
ls that yellow ball the sun ?

Last edited:
Thanks on that. Forgot about SI E.161.
They must have used the MDT w/o leaving the house since the address was across the street from quarters. However the D did not repeat it verbally over the air. That pipeline of smoke is now failing to reach me---Source smoke reduced by 75% now. 12:50pm. Most source smoke gone now 1:15pm.
E. 318 may have been acting E. 250.

Last edited:
Someone posted this job on FB with a link to Channel 2 Newschopper. They did a good job of covering the fire with close-ups of the boats working. You could not pick a more decrepit or unaccessable building if you tried! I noticed in the beginning one of the smaller boats was training its streams onto the water surface for a few minutes before going into action. Anyone know why this was done?

I noticed in the beginning one of the smaller boats was training its streams onto the water surface for a few minutes before going into action. Anyone know why this was done?

Speaking from strictly older boat non-front line experience, but we run the low PSI streams before going balls to the wall as a way to get the pumps, their internals and their packing glands lubed and up to temp and swollen so the risk of a blowout or seal failure is lessened. Landside its not as huge a deal if you have a big weeper while pumping but if you loose a major seal or have a pipe burst while moving 6000gpm or more you can be in serious trouble while trying to stay afloat.

Speaking from strictly older boat non-front line experience, but we run the low PSI streams before going balls to the wall as a way to get the pumps, their internals and their packing glands lubed and up to temp and swollen so the risk of a blowout or seal failure is lessened. Landside its not as huge a deal if you have a big weeper while pumping but if you loose a major seal or have a pipe burst while moving 6000gpm or more you can be in serious trouble while trying to stay afloat.
Yes that does make sense. I thought maybe they were trying to disppate oils and other liquids on the water's surface to prevent possible ignition.

Phone Alarm - Reporting fire in an NYPD building - 10:39

BD to H&L-101: What's your location?
H&L-101: We're on the BQE returning from relocation - 10:41

B-32: We're still responding, we have heavy smoke in the air coming from the NYPD impound lot - 10:42

E-279: 10-75 - 10:42

TL-105 FAST

CIDS: Warehouse 1 story 60x800 class 5 - Metal truss roof - Sprinklered throughout - No roof opps.

B-32: Start out an extra engine & TL (E-226 & TL-114) - 10:43

BD transmitting the All Hands

H&L-101: We're back in our area, we can take it in. (assigned as FAST)

B-32: Have both TL-105 & H&L-101 respond in case we need another TL (TL-105 reassigned FAST, H&L-101 as extra truck) - 10:48

From the FDNY Facebook page at 14:18:

“We received a call for fire in this warehouse at about 10:37 this morning. We arrived quickly to a large volume of fire. We attempted an interior fire attack; the members were overwhelmed by the amount of fire. We had to back the Firefighters out of the building and go to an exterior attack. We have three FDNY Marine Fireboats that are putting a lot of water onto this fire. It is a deep seeded, heavy volume of fire that is difficult to reach. We are also using our drones in the air to pinpoint where we have pockets of fire so we can reposition the marine units. We are currently at a 3rd alarm assignment right now with approximately 150 Fire and EMS personnel. We currently have injuries to three Firefighters, three EMS personnel and two civilians. This fire is probably going to go on for a few days by the time we are able to fully extinguish it,” said FDNY Chief of Department John Hodgens, from the scene of a 3-alarm fire at 700 Columbia Street in Brooklyn."

Attachments

• !!!!!.jpg
    !!!!!.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 27
  • !!!.jpg
    !!!.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 28
  • !!.jpg
    !!.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 29
  • !.jpg
    !.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 28
Anytime you had to work in those buildings it was a pain in the ass. I don't miss it.

RCL

Isn't this the first time that the "new" Marines 1,6, and 9 have all been 84 and operating at the same fire?? (Funny to call them new . . . they're more than 10 years old.)
I could be wrong but didn't all 3 operate at that big warehouse fire in Brooklyn about 5 years ago or so on the water? The one where the lawyer sues because he lost a lot of papers. I know they let the big boats go at somepoint because of low tide but I thought all 3 were there at the same time at 1 point early.

I could be wrong but didn't all 3 operate at that big warehouse fire in Brooklyn about 5 years ago or so on the water? The one where the lawyer sues because he lost a lot of papers. I know they let the big boats go at somepoint because of low tide but I thought all 3 were there at the same time at 1 point early.
Sued who ? l hope he wasn't successful ?

They may have, but I don't think they were ever there together, all operating at the same time, like they were today.