12/20/23 Queens 5th Alarm Box 7254

4th Alarm companies were not announced, had to take a guess for the most part, it might not be entirely accurate. I have no idea who were the 2 trucks s/c at the transmission of the 4th.

E-295 act. 325 was also assigned sometime, not sure at what point.

Last edited:
40 years ago, the amount of units for this operation would be considered obscene :oops:
It seems that the old strategy and tactics that were written, improved upon and successfully implemented in the past are being suspended too early on in favor of going with T/Ls in an exterior operation. That was considered going to the Hail Mary play.
40 years ago the fires didnt burn as hot and not with the amount of oil based contents and smoke.

A 5-11 and 1 special call for 4 engines at 333 S Wacker by 2-1-3. A 5-11 and a special call for 4 additional engines at 333 S Wacker by 2-1-3. And so on.
Chicago has used specials since the dawn of time. Beginning in late 1927 CFD began switching from 3-11 running cards to 5--11 cards. The Burlington Fire (1922 ?) ran out the card with a 3-11 and 10 specials. Ken Little was working at Main FAO on 1/21/57 when they hit a 5-11 and 8 specials for the Continental Grain Elevator at 93rd Street and the Calumet River. On the 8th special were 3 engines and 2 squads.

4th Alarm companies were not announced, had to take a guess for the most part, it might not be entirely accurate. I have no idea who were the 2 trucks s/c at the transmission of the 4th.

E-295 act. 325 was also assigned sometime, not sure at what point.
Looks like

Everything else on the 4th looks good.

16 engine after 237

On a top floor/cockloft fire like this, how far down the building will there be water damage? How long does it usually take to get everyone reestablished back in the building?
A popped sprinkler head running for 10 minutes will make its way down many many floors easily. A 500-600 GPM Tower Ladder stream will easily go all the way to the basement.

At that Queen 8th Alarm a year or so ago, I had a friend in one of the apartments (not affected), he never moved back in.
"We had to burn down the village to save it"...Looks like water damage on top floor fires can easily exceed fire damage.

Now we need a smart person to solve the problem; and patent it.

I thought Chicago still goes above the 5-11?
I’m not
Positive but going back to what I’ve listened to in the 1960’s it’s always up to a 5-11, then you always hear “special call 4 engines”. Boston goes up to like 9, but I don’t believe they get nearly the resources the FDNY gives on additional alarms

Bulldog

Bulldog
40 years ago, the amount of units for this operation would be considered obscene :oops:
Actually, in most parts of the country outside of a few of the big cities that amount of equipment and manpower doesn't exist. It wouldn't be considered obscene because it isn't available.

On a top floor/cockloft fire like this, how far down the building will there be water damage? How long does it usually take to get everyone reestablished back in the building?
A Fire such as this requiring such extinguishing effort & water would generally damage apts down to the lowest level & possibly heating units in the cellar.....time frame to get residents back in the bldg would vary.....aside from water damage below another important consideration during the actual FD operation is the possibility of burning embers dropping down in old dumbwaiter shafts....pipe chases...& in vertical steel channel rails ......sometime causing a secondary Fire on a lower floor ......also carbon monoxide in a serious quantity can & has travelled DOWN thru these avenues....CO is slightly lighter than air but pressure from a serious expanding Fire can force it DOWN a good distance if conditions are right.

Last edited:
It seems that the old strategy and tactics that were written, improved upon and successfully implemented in the past are being suspended too early on in favor of going with T/Ls in an exterior operation. That was considered going to the Hail Mary play.
You’re not wrong.

But keep in mind the brothers aren’t working two 24’s a week anymore. Both the average fireman and boss perform around 500 hours or more of MSOT/PCOT a year now - citywide.

Guys are tired and need relief quicker.

And top floor jobs in multiple wing H types seem to be the culprit for the need for fresh bodies.

As for exterior operations early, that seems to be what the job has been pushing lately. Guys at the top of the food chain with 30 plus years on.