1960 PLANE CRASH STATEN ISLAND BROOKLYN TWA UNITED

Two Brooklyn memorials to one 1960 plane crash

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall being in St. Fidelis elementary school when the Sister stopped the classwork and had us say prayers for all those involved. Funny, how you never forget some things. Many years later, a gentleman that was my boss told me how he had just started forking for the NYC Dept. of Hospitals (as it was called then) on the ambulances and he responded to the Sterling Place site.

I was in class at St. Teresa of Avila when we heard a boom. The brother teaching class initially thought either a manhole exploded or a clap of thunder. Shortly afterwards we heard the sirens and on the way home for lunch we could all smell the smoke and jet fuel.
Rest in Peace for the victims and continued thoughts for those who responded.

Not to date myself but I was on scene in Brooklyn back then as an Aux fireman. Still have vivid memories of the tail section of the jet, the Pillar of Fire Church and the total destruction of the area. . Where does time go.

I was a student at St. Francis College (then on Butler St. just off of Court St., next to the old 82nd Precinct), and a group of us walked the 20 or so blocks to 7th & Sterling. I agree with AuxLtEng225 . . . I'll never forget that tail section and the destruction. 

I was at work in Lower Manhattan @ Chubb & Sons Insurance 90 John St. I left at 5Pm and took the subway to E 280 where I had My Auxiliary gear. I got all my gear and walked to the scene. 280 was actually second due to 269 and when I arrived I found 280 on a hydrant about 35ft  East from the intersection where the Tail section was.I will never forget that day and the day after.  R.I.P. to all who perished.

As a kid, I could only remember watching this on the news. I couldn't believe that a large plane like that would crash into a city street. As those buildings were burning, I remember the camera focusing in on a sign saying "Pillar of Fire Church".

If I remember correctly there was one small child that had survived and somebody holding an umbrella to protect the child from the rain falling. I believe that young child also passed away later though. 

That was the boy in one of the Memorials at the start of this thread....the coins embedded in the plaque were in his pocket & the parents gave them to Methodist Hosp.

I was a senior at Poly Prep in Bay Ridge and we were far away enough that we had no knowledge of this tragic event.  Went to look at the carnage on the weekend.