2/17/24 MANHATTAN 10-25 TRANSFORMER FIRE BOX 0595

8TH AVENUE BETWEEN 22ND & 23RD STREET

E3, E1, E14
TL12, L24
B7

“{ FDNY BOX 0595 ~ MANHATTAN }”…..”{ FDNY OPERATING AT A VERY SMOKY AND ACTIVE TRANSFORMER VAULT FIRE DURING A SNOW STORM ON 8TH AVENUE IN THE CHELSEA AREA OF MANHATTAN IN NEW YORK CITY }”…..

Forgive me for not knowing how this works, but why can't the fire department be given the training and/or tools necessary to shut off the power instead of standing around waiting for ConEd? Not necessarily every Engine or Ladder but maybe Squads or Rescues or someone who can respond a lot faster. But the current way of doing things risks public safety by having the fire and the sparking continue longer and also wastes FD resources by having them stand around and wait.

Forgive me for not knowing how this works, but why can't the fire department be given the training and/or tools necessary to shut off the power instead of standing around waiting for ConEd? Not necessarily every Engine or Ladder but maybe Squads or Rescues or someone who can respond a lot faster. But the current way of doing things risks public safety by having the fire and the sparking continue longer and also wastes FD resources by having them stand around and wait.
Very good question/statement. I was assistant chief incident commander for a rural fire department and we needed assistance from any utility it could take as long as an hour and half. On structure fires we learned how to "pull the electric boxes" but AEP WANTED The professionals to use there "hotsticks" on the power poles etc.The main reason I believe was LIABILITY .

The same with natural gas leaks, once locally here there was a leak in a yard, fire department got there and were evacuating nearby residences waiting for the gas company, and l asked one of the ff why the gas company doesn't give the fire departments the keys for the sidewalk shutoffs.... he replied, '' because it's not our job ''. l thought well how much better it would be to just lift the cover in the sidewalk and put that pole thing down and turn the valve off, but oh well, what do l know.

high rise buildings in NYC can be 440 volts or higher. With everything underground, Con Ed usually has to cut power in a manhole, and they are literally cutting power. They need to find the right manhole and go down with hydraulic cable cutters. Many times the issue is with the feed lines coming in from the street and not the building service. It’s just that you see the problem at the service