37 Truck

W

Wasko

I heard their quarters were being rebuilt, but they seem to be covering every inch of the Bronx and parts of Manhattan too!  One day I heard 33 Truck and 56 truck arrive first and second due at a box about 2 blocks from the Briggs Ave firehouse.  Today, 37 Truck was headed to a box in Manhattan about 1400.  Can anyone say where 37 Truck is quartered and how they are being used??

Wasko said:
Thanks.  Do they still respond to their own boxes?

When a company is permanently relocated due to construction on their house, a majority of their boxes will be kept however they will lose some due to other companies being closer to those boxes. They will also gain some boxes in their new area and annoy the hell out of the companies that are losing the boxes to them.

tl-ff said:
Wasko said:

When a company is permanently relocated due to construction on their house, a majority of their boxes will be kept however they will lose some due to other companies being closer to those boxes. They will also gain some boxes in their new area and annoy the hell out of the companies that are losing the boxes to them.
Ha, Ha! Like L128 moving in with L106 taking boxes from TL146? ;) ;D

tl-ff said:
Wasko said:

Gee that kinda hits close to home, now doesn't it?? The assignment cards for both E-79, L-37, BN-27, and some of the surrounding houses were adjusted while the house is being renovated. However, IMHO, there were a number of boxes that could have been left well enough alone. 52 Truck lost all of their 2nd due boxes that weren't on the highways. BN-27 lost a ton of street boxes that even from Bailey Avenue they can blow the doors off of the 19, or the 15 for that matter. There are boxes that 37 can get into well before, or just as fast as 56, or 33 for that matter. This comes from experience, and knowing the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the changes are made without consulting the people who it matters to, meaning the company officers, and the dispatchers turning them out. IMHO, 37 Truck should NOT be going to anything in Manhattan. Leave that for 52. Simply if they catch work, it's gonna be a while before 59,52, or and other truck is gonna get into that neighborhood if 37 and 46 are out.

What boxes would L37 get to faster than L56 or TL33 from Bailey Ave that they are not curently assigend to?

Anything on Mosholu, some boxes near the Concourse, A number of spots in and around their firehouse(Briggs Avenue), if coming directly from Bailey Avenue. Coming up Sedgwick and down Mosholu. Please note I am not looking to get into a pi$$ing contest here, I am simply stating an opinion based on my knowledge and experience.

Although I'm from the other side of the world, I've had a long term interest in FDNY operations. I have a background in fire communications and dispatch, mainly from a technical and engineering perspective.

I have never understood the logic behind FDNY's dispatch policy other than it being a historic thing.

I come from a FD where if dispatch policy says (for example) three engines and two trucks are to go, you send the closest ones .. and you send three engines and two trucks, not three and one because the second due truck is not available. (We don't use the engine/truck concept here but the same principle applies). With modern technology such as AVL it's not hard to establish who is the closest.

I appreciate that tradition is everything in FDNY but their dispatch philosophy has always seemed a little strange to me.

FDNY150 said:
tl-ff said:
Wasko said:

Gee that kinda hits close to home, now doesn't it?? The assignment cards for both E-79, L-37, BN-27, and some of the surrounding houses were adjusted while the house is being renovated. However, IMHO, there were a number of boxes that could have been left well enough alone. 52 Truck lost all of their 2nd due boxes that weren't on the highways. BN-27 lost a ton of street boxes that even from Bailey Avenue they can blow the doors off of the 19, or the 15 for that matter. There are boxes that 37 can get into well before, or just as fast as 56, or 33 for that matter. This comes from experience, and knowing the neighborhood. Unfortunately, the changes are made without consulting the people who it matters to, meaning the company officers, and the dispatchers turning them out. IMHO, 37 Truck should NOT be going to anything in Manhattan. Leave that for 52. Simply if they catch work, it's gonna be a while before 59,52, or and other truck is gonna get into that neighborhood if 37 and 46 are out.

This is the same story with my company. We have over the years lost boxes to 2 Queens companies that may be geographically closer, but we can beat them in to the box driving in reverse the whole way there. Not to mention that to get into the area they both have to go over draw bridges. Now with one of those companies taking up residence in what was our response area(1st and 2nd due) we lost even more boxes and may not even see a job in that area unless it goes to a 2nd alarm.

>>I appreciate that tradition is everything in FDNY but their dispatch philosophy has always seemed a little strange to me.<<

If we sent 2+2 or 3+2 to every structural alarm that came in, we'd run out of companies. At some point you have to set a limit to preserve fire protection.

150, it works like this:

Any box that had TL46 and L37 assigned in that order prior to 37's relocation is still that way. TL46 rolls first. For those that were L37 and TL 46, 37 rolls first. Most of those boxes are to the north and/or west of the reservoir. 37 has lost none of those.

Once you go east of the reservoir or hit the Grand Concourse, things change. Take for example, Box 3551, Concourse at Van Cortland Av. L56 and TL 33 get there faster than TL46 and always have been assigned so. Both come north on the Concourse, a faster/shorter run than trying to weave your way up Sedgwick Av. Consequently, L37 now goes in 3rd due or FAST. (L32 is actually closer than all of them but has too many turns to negotiate getting around Reservoir Oval.)

For the boxes around the Briggs Avenue firehouse, 56,33,38 and 32 all get there faster than 37(now) or 46. (38 and 32 use straight runs on Webster Av to Bedford Park Blvd.) That's where L37 has lost response area. Conversely, 37 has picked up any box 2nd due where TL46  is assigned first due in Riverdale, to L52's loss. There are even a few boxes south of the Reservoir where 37 now runs 2d due instead of L33, i.e, 3521 at Reservoir av at 195th st. Ditto for L36 in Marble Hill

The system is based on who is closer to provide quicker service to the citizens, not personal preferences.

If we sent 2+2 or 3+2 to every structural alarm that came in, we'd run out of companies. At some point you have to set a limit to preserve fire protection.

Thanks Frank, that explains it.