4/7/18 Manhattan 4th Alarm 10-76 Box 4500

Battalion10Buff said:
BoroCall said:
Battalion10Buff said:

https://youtu.be/STS1wa2yf2M

Great video.  How did you shoot while driving though ??

Watched your video over here across the pond, excellent work, really enjoyed it. Just a quick question though, I am guessing radio scanners/listening to the FDNY is legal in the USA? In the UK its illegal and most FD radio networks are digitally encrypted.

During the video I noticed you were amongst the members at the scene, how do they generally react to guys with radios blaring away amongst them? (this was a really great video BTW).

Thanks Boro, as nasibova predicted I was, in fact, in a taxi.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
Ah, no wonder you got there so fast - but expensive?
[/quote]

A bit, but my small amount of YouTube Revenue will Pay it off!

BritishAndy, in reference to your above question regarding guys with scanners etc. As a guy who did that for many years in NYC, I'll tell you my past experience. I don't really do too much of buffing fires these days, but I do know of a few guys that do.

In my years, in NYC, I have really NEVER had any problem. I would usually have camera and scanner in hand and it was pretty easy for anybody on the scene to realize just what I was doing there. As long as I didn't interfere with the work being done, NOBODY bothered me. I think most people knew I was NOT out to do any harm or cause any trouble. If I was told by someone in authority to do something, I would certainly cooperate.

I think most of the time, members of both the FDNY and NYPD appreciated someone being out there to see the kind of work being done. Often those members would very often talk to me (or I would talk to them) about the incident. I also know of many guys who would take pictures on the scene and then make up copies to give to members or the fire company involved. "mikeindabronx", on this site, is one such individual who is very much respected by the members of the FDNY. I'm sure he is quite familiar to many members of the NYPD as well. (See: recent - "News of Members" - "mikeindabronx" presented with plaque from members of E62/L32).

Although I don't do much these days, I do have a few friends that make frequent visits to various areas of NYC for the sole purpose of watching and taking pictures of fires. Some of them are firefighters themselves in other cities. They do it because NYC offers them the perfect place to see the operations of just how a major city operates, from a 2 1/2 story frame to a 50 story high rise building fire.

Another thing that I think many members of the FDNY (and perhaps the NYPD) recognize is the fact that you really don't know who is out there watching. I say that NOT in a negative way, but in a positive way. Fire buffs across the country, and the world, come from all walks of life. We have many guys on here who if buffing were put aside, are all very well respected individuals. They just seem to have an interest in the fire service in general. They "highly respect" the work that these firefighters do. There has been cases where buffs in NYC have been made "Honorary Chiefs" by the leadership within the FDNY for their contributions.

As an example, I know of one guy who I had met several years ago in Connecticut. He was a young volunteer firefighter and a paramedic for an ambulance service there. Later he became a career firefighter in a local city. A Great Guy.

But very shortly after getting on that job, he got seriously hurt at a fire. His officer told me he was a very good firefighter but he would NOT be able to return to work. Several years had gone by and somehow I learned that this young guy had gone to medical school. "Today" he is a WELL RESPECTED Cardiologist in a major hospital in Philadelphia. He also spent many years working in that emergency room area of the hospital. Today he has the highest respect for firefighters and actually he has been there and done that himself. I believe recently he went to visit a few friends of his in the FDNY as well.

BritishAndy, I'm sure you understand, but somehow the UK needs to try and understand that all people who like to monitor fire or police calls are NOT bad people. They can often speak for the benefit of any police/fire dept as "a civilian" who has seen the kind of work those guys do on a daily basis.
There is a saying I learned a long time ago. "NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER". How true that is when it comes to describing some guys who just have an interest in chasing fire trucks.

Battalion10Buff - I think STAjo speaks for many of us here. "Great Vid. Excellent Work". Thank you.

Andy Ireland and the UK are very backward when it comes to scanners. Whatever about years ago but now i think it would fall under Data Protection Law now. So cant see it ever happening

I can pick up brigades here but its usually one way you dont get the pumps transmitting back.

Many years ago i buffed my first NYC Fire in Chinatown (a 2nd alarm) with my scanner i brought to the US

nfd2004 said:
BritishAndy, in reference to your above question regarding guys with scanners etc. As a guy who did that for many years in NYC, I'll tell you my past experience. I don't really do too much of buffing fires these days, but I do know of a few guys that do.

In my years, in NYC, I have really NEVER had any problem. I would usually have camera and scanner in hand and it was pretty easy for anybody on the scene to realize just what I was doing there. As long as I didn't interfere with the work being done, NOBODY bothered me. I think most people knew I was NOT out to do any harm or cause any trouble. If I was told by someone in authority to do something, I would certainly cooperate.

I think most of the time, members of both the FDNY and NYPD appreciated someone being out there to see the kind of work being done. Often those members would very often talk to me (or I would talk to them) about the incident. I also know of many guys who would take pictures on the scene and then make up copies to give to members or the fire company involved. "mikeindabronx", on this site, is one such individual who is very much respected by the members of the FDNY. I'm sure he is quite familiar to many members of the NYPD as well. (See: recent - "News of Members" - "mikeindabronx" presented with plaque from members of E62/L32).

Although I don't do much these days, I do have a few friends that make frequent visits to various areas of NYC for the sole purpose of watching and taking pictures of fires. Some of them are firefighters themselves in other cities. They do it because NYC offers them the perfect place to see the operations of just how a major city operates, from a 2 1/2 story frame to a 50 story high rise building fire.

Another thing that I think many members of the FDNY (and perhaps the NYPD) recognize is the fact that you really don't know who is out there watching. I say that NOT in a negative way, but in a positive way. Fire buffs across the country, and the world, come from all walks of life. We have many guys on here who if buffing were put aside, are all very well respected individuals. They just seem to have an interest in the fire service in general. They "highly respect" the work that these firefighters do. There has been cases where buffs in NYC have been made "Honorary Chiefs" by the leadership within the FDNY for their contributions.

As an example, I know of one guy who I had met several years ago in Connecticut. He was a young volunteer firefighter and a paramedic for an ambulance service there. Later he became a career firefighter in a local city. A Great Guy.

But very shortly after getting on that job, he got seriously hurt at a fire. His officer told me he was a very good firefighter but he would NOT be able to return to work. Several years had gone by and somehow I learned that this young guy had gone to medical school. "Today" he is a WELL RESPECTED Cardiologist in a major hospital in Philadelphia. He also spent many years working in that emergency room area of the hospital. Today he has the highest respect for firefighters and actually he has been there and done that himself. I believe recently he went to visit a few friends of his in the FDNY as well.

BritishAndy, I'm sure you understand, but somehow the UK needs to try and understand that all people who like to monitor fire or police calls are NOT bad people. They can often speak for the benefit of any police/fire dept as "a civilian" who has seen the kind of work those guys do on a daily basis.
There is a saying I learned a long time ago. "NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER". How true that is when it comes to describing some guys who just have an interest in chasing fire trucks.

Battalion10Buff - I think STAjo speaks for many of us here. "Great Vid. Excellent Work". Thank you.

If I may respectfully add - there were/are many Buffs, who actually provided a big service, I'm not sure about these days, but a while back there were Buffs who were also member's of organizations that provided food & beverages to the member's of both FDNY & NYPD at usually 3rd Alarm's & greater and other types of major incidents.  And most, if not all of the member's & chief's loved these "buff's" - in fact the vehicles these organizations used to provide service were quartered in firehouses.  At least one of the organizations were given FDNY dept. radios for direct communications with the dispatchers.

What a ridiculous amount of conversation about a residential high rise fire.  There are literally dozens of these fires all the time in NYC, some of them fatal.  A quick search of 10-77 on this site shows 59 threads about 10-77s already in 2018, and 172 threads in 2017.
The only reason there is this much coverage about no sprinklers in a high rise residential, built before 1999, is because the building is built by the much hated 45th President of this great nation, Donald Trump. 
The first 15 minutes of any news broadcast is enough to bad mouth him, another 2 minutes must be added on about this ridiculousness. God forbid anybody in that building has ever found a roach on the floor. There's another 60 seconds of story.
Guess what, sprinklers in a private dwelling would save a lot of lives too, why is there no big push for that?  Now you have city council members pushing to require buildings to retro fit sprinklers in HRFPMDs.  Good luck with that in NYCHA, they can't even get working boilers.

BxBend said:
What a ridiculous amount of conversation about a residential high rise fire.  There are literally dozens of these fires all the time in NYC, some of them fatal.  A quick search of 10-77 on this site shows 59 threads about 10-77s already in 2018, and 172 threads in 2017.
The only reason there is this much coverage about no sprinklers in a high rise residential, built before 1999, is because the building is built by the much hated 45th President of this great nation, Donald Trump. 
The first 15 minutes of any news broadcast is enough to bad mouth him, another 2 minutes must be added on about this ridiculousness. God forbid anybody in that building has ever found a roach on the floor. There's another 60 seconds of story.
Guess what, sprinklers in a private dwelling would save a lot of lives too, why is there no big push for that?  Now you have city council members pushing to require buildings to retro fit sprinklers in HRFPMDs.  Good luck with that in NYCHA, they can't even get working boilers.

Im sure its not just Trumps building/s that are without sprinklers. Whats strikes me upon reading up about this story is that before he became POTUS he lived there. I would have thought tho that for someone that's a big name businessman / property tycoon he would have had the best Fire Safety deterrents fitted for he and his family

As we are finding out this side of the pond Fire Safety is the last thing on and property developers minds. Buildings are being built that in the event of a fire will become death traps especially High Rise Buildings. It takes big money to make a building fire safe and developers are unwilling to pay for it.

FDNY Response Videos

FDNY Response Videos
BxBend said:

The one thing that you are failing to consider is that this was a large-scale, Fatal, 4th Alarm 10-76. Yes 10?77?s do happen very often and sometimes multiple times a day, but this was on a much larger scale. Fire on such a high floor is uncommon and especially one with no sprinklers. From experience from being to multiple 10-77s, heavy fire and fire out the windows is not common. I can say, for myself at least, that this topic is not only interesting because of its name. One can talk for hours about strategies used at this fire. It took at least 2 High Pressre engines with high pressure lines to get water on this fire.

Battalion10Buff said:
BxBend said:

The one thing that you are failing to consider is that this was a large-scale, Fatal, 4th Alarm 10-76. Yes 10?77?s do happen very often and sometimes multiple times a day, but this was on a much larger scale. Fire on such a high floor is uncommon and especially one with no sprinklers. From experience from being to multiple 10-77s, heavy fire and fire out the windows is not common. I can say, for myself at least, that this topic is not only interesting because of its name. One can talk for hours about strategies used at this fire. It took at least 2 High Pressre engines with high pressure lines to get water on this fire.

I think you make excellent points, also not only was fire out the windows - fire was out multiple windows on two sides and under pressure (it was actually blowing in heavy volume).  When I first heard the news report - I too said OH big deal another happening at TT, but then I was quite surprised to see the live shots and the volume of fire!

Comm. Nigro said virtually the entire apartment (which was quite large - worth $2.5 Million) was engulfed in fire. Nozzleman's dream.

Battalion10Buff said:
BxBend said:

I should have been more specific. I understand the conversation surrounding the scale of this job. Its the side conversations, 3 days of coverage in the media, and asinine legislation being proposed by these brouhaha lefty liberals that I find ridiculous.  The rag aka the Daily News even wrote an article today telling us the woeful tale of how Trump once called the 10-45 a "crazy Jew". The horror. Maybe the Russians hacked his appliances and caused a fire in his apartment since him and the Donald didn't enjoy eachothers company.

IRISH said:
BxBend said:

Regarding the sprinkles and the  law,  though not required when the building was built  -  I would be willing to bet there are sprinklers on the floors that Trump occupies

Im sure its not just Trumps building/s that are without sprinklers. Whats strikes me upon reading up about this story is that before he became POTUS he lived there. I would have thought tho that for someone that's a big name businessman / property tycoon he would have had the best Fire Safety deterrents fitted for he and his family

As we are finding out this side of the pond Fire Safety is the last thing on and property developers minds. Buildings are being built that in the event of a fire will become death traps especially High Rise Buildings. It takes big money to make a building fire safe and developers are unwilling to pay for it.

As just reported on ABC World News - Source: Faulty appliance or Device caused fire.

The "Source" was not indicated.

kfd274 said:
IRISH said:
BxBend said:

Regarding the sprinkles and the  law,  though not required when the building was built  -  I would be willing to bet there are sprinklers on the floors that Trump occupies

There arent sprinklers above the 29th floor, except maybe in the compactor shaft.

nfd2004 said:

thank you as always nfd2004 for a thorough and insightful response, and always with a fascinating story.
As posted by IRISH, here in the UK they use the highest encrypted digital radio and used the blanket excuse 'terrorist threat', they dont like anyone monitoring radios at all and such is the suspicious minds of those in authority, many of buffs have wrongly been accused of underhand tactics.
That aside, I experienced my first trip to the USA last year and by chance happened to buff a 3rd alarm in Jersey City. It was late at night and in a pretty rough area, but we were allowed to wander about, take photographs and basically get right up close to the fire building. What was even more incredible for us British buffs, the Jersey City brothers wanted to talk with us, encouraged us to get photographs etc. I got talking to one guy who was the MPO of an engine company, he asked where I was from etc and when I told him my story he gave me a real in depth run down on how the fire progressed, what the guys had done, basically talked me through the entire operation.
It was so different from how things are back home as the PD normally close off two or three city blocks at a fire.

Anyhow, sorry for hijacking the thread, thanks guys.  :D